Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Got My 505 and I love it... Although ...

I got my 505 on September 4th (after a few hiccups like it not being delivered to my local store as promised and then having to drive to the nearest Waterstones to get one from their stock Arrgh).
But apart from that I immediately took off on holiday – I know what a weird thing to do . But i had been prepared thanks to the lovely contributers off this site I had prepared a load of books to take with me.
I was a little bit apprehensive – new technology; what if it didn’t work; what if I forgot how to read - but none of that mattered what a fantastic experience, I cold lie in the sun and read and read and read – which is what I like to do on holiday anyway
Easy to use and the buttons are just in the right place for turning the pages. And the big plus the books don’t melt as they have a tendency to do in hot countries when lying in the sun.
I read, The Lake House by James Patterson, Gallilee by Clive Barker, The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith and am half way through the second Greg Mandel book by Peter F Hamilton. All made very easy by the reader

Likes and Dislikes – So far...

Likes,

The ease in how you can changes the size of the text – I think this is very good.
The fact that heavy books like Galilee which is 800 pages and The Seventh Scroll which is 750 pages are read at any angle lying on your back without the “annoying two hands held” in the air aching whilst trying to hold the book open – fabulous

Dislikes.. yes there is one (I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?)
The screen in the Lanzarote sun needed to be shaded from the direct sun (even at 9:30 am) otherwise the letters on the screen faded to an almost unreadable faint grey – this was bad and not easily overcome...
But overall my favourite new gadget – yippee!!
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
morty1753
morty1753 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraKM View Post

Dislikes.. yes there is one (I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?)
The screen in the Lanzarote sun needed to be shaded from the direct sun (even at 9:30 am) otherwise the letters on the screen faded to an almost unreadable faint grey – this was bad and not easily overcome...
But overall my favourite new gadget – yippee!!
I have noticed this on my PRS 500, as I believe others have. (I work in the desert where the sun can be very intense) . I find that the screen soon returns to normal when moved out of direct sun.
morty1753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #3
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
yeah - probably heat related. I've had PDA's and mobile phones do the same after some time in the sun...........

enjoy it everywhere else though!
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote