Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
mrsmac
mrsmac began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
New device and new to ereading

I got my PB360 the other day and I'm excited to get started! I thought I would try downloading a pdf ebook from the library and start getting the hang of things. Well 3 hours later, I have the book on my WinXP computer (with authorized ADE) but can't get it on the 360. The 360 shows up in ADE (as pocket101) but when I try to drag the book there, ADE says I don't have permission. I read about authorizing the 360, but that hasn't been an option I've been able to access, although the 360 is showing up on ADE. My 360 is at a screen with two circular arrows and it says connected to PC. I keep reading about having only so many authorizations with ADE so I hate to keep doing things over and over for fear I'll reach my limit. I have the 14.2 version of 360.

So what am I doing wrong?
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I wish I could help you, but I don't use ADE at all. Hopefully someone can help you out soon.

Not that it will help you out, but was PDF the only format available to you from the library? PDF is not the best format to read on a small screened reader. EPUB, FB2, MOBI/PRC, HTML are all much more comfortable to read.

Good luck!
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
mrsmac
mrsmac began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook 360
Thanks anyway for your response. I am so incredibly lost and frustrated with this device. I keep reading these boards, trying to figure out what I am doing, and I just get more and more confused. My dictionary's in a foreign language, I can't figure out how to access bookmarks, I can't figure out how to access much of anything, the manual is a joke, which firmware should I be using, etc., etc. It just goes on and on. I think I need to put it down and walk away. I feel like I really made the wrong choice with the reader, but I will keep trying, just not for a while.

Thanks again for your response!
mrsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
My suggestion would be to separate the ADE issues from the familiarization issues.
Try downloading a handful of DRM-free ebooks (Mobileread has a nice supply if you don't have any handy) and PDF documents.
This will help you acquaint yourself with the reader and the various apps.
Once you understand the hardware, then you can go back to debug the ADE issues, which might not have anything to do with the PB360 itself.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Your first error is trying to use PDF.

PDF is just not a suitable format for ebook readers. PDF is a static, fixed, unchangeable representation of a document in a very specific paper format. It's designed to produce one and the very same document, no matter where you display or print it - provided you have the correct paper format (or a large enough display) at hand, otherwise you end up with ugly borders. For ebook readers, with displays usually smaller than any common paper format, you need a format that is dynamic, flowing, so you want HTML, EPUB, etc.

Your second error is DRM.

Unfortunately, as it is, DRM is a nuisance on any reader. More often than not it prevents you from reading stuff you have paid good money for - a problem that pirates do not have and they pay nothing...

2011 is still the dark age when it comes to digital publishing. Maybe in 10 years there will be better devices AND more books available without DRM in a suitable format from the start. As of now, you have to rely on software like Calibre to polish up some odd formats first before putting it on the reader.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I would also add to fjtorres' good advice that, if you are planning on updating the firmware, to do that before getting the ADE working properly. Many people have found that updating the firmware changes their reader's "fingerprint" to ADE, and that books with DRM that were imported to it no longer open. You have to go through the process of reintroducing the device to ADE (using up another of the device authorizations allowed) and re-importing the books again. If you only want to do it once, do it after the firmware upgrade.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote