Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
DR1000S vs plastic logic?

Hello

I was waiting a lot time for a high resolution e-reader and now we have in the screet the DR1000S. It seems to be perfect to read A4 pdfs and like iliad he will have a lot of community feedback, but in the other hand we have in a few time the plastic logic reader that maybe can have a better screen.

Anyone know what is the resolution of the plastic logic? Searching around the web I only see that the screen it is a 11" with a 150DPI that maybe can be @ 1600x1200 ?¿?

With that resolution, maybe it is better to wait few months to buy it instead the iRex?

any advice?

thanks!
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think you'll be waiting for more than "a few months". Realistically I wouldn't expect to see Plastic Logic devices before next summer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

umhf, I was expecting the device for February or so.

If is really for the next summer I thing ill go with the 1000S
Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
majutsu
majutsu began at the beginning.

Device: None
AFAIK, everytime I read a review on the iRex's, they have a design flaw that doesn't let the CPU shut down to a true sleep mode - meaning you'll have to charge it everyday. Charging it that often also means you have to replace the battery so much more (if it's even user replaceable???)

If you can live that....

Plus I hear accounts of the screens breaking while with plastic logic that shouldn't be a problem theoretically.

OTOH, iRex just opened up it's software which is a huge PLUS while Plastic Logic is an unknown. Also, next year when PL launches, not only will it be a 1st Generation device, it will be their first device.

We won't start seeing truly acceptable e-readers for about 5 years. Sadly. So you'll have to compromise no matter what for the time being or just wait it out.

Last edited by majutsu; 10-30-2008 at 08:54 AM.
majutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #5
whopper
Addict

well, but the iRex problem with battery is a hardware problem or maybe it can correct it with a firmware update?
Advert
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, iRex says, that the DR1000S is capable of a proper power management, but the software is not ready yet. We will see, if they can deliver a proper pmm i a few month i think.

The Plastic Logic reader is announced for Q2 2009. But if they are anything like all the other companies, that bring out completely new technology, i assume it will be Q3 2009.

I personally like the DR100S sofar, but i really hate the short battery life. On the other hand, i am using it and dont want to miss it, in spite of the bad runtime.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Everything we think we know about the Plastic Logic device is in the wiki. We don't know the screen resolution, but a smaller prototype had 150 ppi and so the same resolution as the DR (1024x1280) is one possibility. The screen would be larger, due to ~150 vs 160 ppi.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
whopper
Addict

Finally I buy the 1000S, i can live with the battery problems because 95% of the time I will use at home.

thanks to all

Tags
dpi, dr1000s, irex, plastic logic, resolution