Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I thought Amazon only allowing Kindlegen to be used.
No, it's just that sometimes books not done with KindleGen get kicked back. Some folks still use Calibre too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria View Post
So far I have never had a problem but one thing is always true: with a book in the KF8 format, the smallest line spacing in KF8 is the largest one in mobi when viewed on the Kindle. I set it the KF8 on medium and it's most comfortable for me to read this way.
I have created a modified version of Charis SIL (font) that when used with KF8 on a Kindle Touch or Kindle PW or embedded does not give you large line space. The metrics have been modified to fix this problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

I also have one that I made larger that also works well with KF8.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?brs6539sg0whh1h

All these modified fonts do work with Mobi just fine if you have a Touch or PW.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, it's just that sometimes books not done with KindleGen get kicked back. Some folks still use Calibre too.
I wonder what it is about non-Kindlegen created eBooks that causes them to not be accepted.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I thought Amazon only allowing Kindlegen to be used.
They do. But an awful lot of the books at Amazon predate KF8, and there's no obligation on publishers to update them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #35
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Quote:
I have created a modified version of Charis SIL (font) that when used with KF8 on a Kindle Touch or Kindle PW or embedded does not give you large line space. The metrics have been modified to fix this problem.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?64cse2dshispx08

I also have one that I made larger that also works well with KF8.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?brs6539sg0whh1h

All these modified fonts do work with Mobi just fine if you have a Touch or PW.
Oh, okay. I wonder if it is this way only on the Touch and PW or would it be the case on any Kindle? I only have the Keyboard and the Basic.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria View Post
Oh, okay. I wonder if it is this way only on the Touch and PW or would it be the case on any Kindle? I only have the Keyboard and the Basic.
In order to use any of those fonts in a KF8 eBook, you would have to embed the font unless you were to jailbreak your Kindles and install the font hack/patch.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:55 PM   #37
thglara
thglara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
About mobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorix View Post
As far as I know, both formats are closed formats of Amazon. Other than that, I don't know of any similarities/dissimilarities. But maybe I am missing something, can someone kindly share thoughts?
Azw is a close format from Amazon. It is a mobi with DRM support. Mobi is a open format.
thglara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thglara View Post
Azw is a close format from Amazon. It is a mobi with DRM support. Mobi is a open format.
Sorry, but Mobi is not an open format. Mobipocket had DRM long before Amazon bought the company. Because of the tools available now, KF8 (with no DRM) is more open than Mobi).
Old 08-27-2017, 07:01 PM   #39
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Unfortunately things are not so simple. You cannot determine whether or not a book file has DRM based on the file extension. Amazon uses .azw for books both with and without DRM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Unfortunately things are not so simple. You cannot determine whether or not a book file has DRM based on the file extension. Amazon uses .azw for books both with and without DRM.
Amazon uses .azw for both Mobi and KF8 both with or without DRM.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #41
thglara
thglara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It's right. The file format azw can have DRM.
thglara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's right. The file format azw can have DRM.
The point that jhowell is (correctly) making is that "AZW" is not a file format; it's just a file extension. A file with a ".azw" extension can be either a Mobi7 or a KF8 book, with or without DRM. You can't tell just by looking at the extension.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #43
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Amazon uses .azw for both Mobi and KF8 both with or without DRM.
Amazon uses azw3 for KF8.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Amazon uses azw3 for KF8.
Perhaps it depends on the device? I download all my books with K4PC, and on that all books, both Mobi7 and KF8, download as files with a ".azw" extension.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:51 PM   #45
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps it depends on the device? I download all my books with K4PC, and on that all books, both Mobi7 and KF8, download as files with a ".azw" extension.
So it seems to. Books downloaded on the device or through the "Download & Transfer via. USB" give .azw3. I'd thought they gave with K4PC .azw3 but I guess Calibre changes the extension along with the title when I import them.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw, kindle, mobi