Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Just Got A New KINDLE3! Can I Finally Load My Own Content To It?

Hey everyone!

So i've had a broken Kindle for sooo long now and i obviously read my jetBook every night, but i did come across a friend who gave me her Kindle 3 today.

I want to know if there are any new updates to the device which allow me to load anythign i want to it like the jetBook does. Let me know! Thanks!!
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
Hey everyone!

So i've had a broken Kindle for sooo long now and i obviously read my jetBook every night, but i did come across a friend who gave me her Kindle 3 today.

I want to know if there are any new updates to the device which allow me to load anythign i want to it like the jetBook does. Let me know! Thanks!!
i don't know anything about jetbook, but with the free application 'calibre' you can convert all of the popular ebook formats (ones that are drm free) into what the kindle uses, mobi.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
i don't know anything about jetbook, but with the free application 'calibre' you can convert all of the popular ebook formats (ones that are drm free) into what the kindle uses, mobi.
yes, but can i load books that i already have on my computer into the kindle without conversion?

and, if i do convert them, will they be formatted properly?

i though Amazon put a lock on importing any content to it
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #4
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
have you tried plugging your Kindle into your computer? or sending books to youraddress@free.kindle.com?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
...i though Amazon put a lock on importing any content to it
No lock down at all as far as importing. You can drag and drop directly from a PC to the K3 via USB, send files via email through Amazon, use calibre, etc. Content does have to be in a format readable by the Kindle and it has to be DRM free in most cases, unless of course you buy via Amazon.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool answers

Quote:
yes, but can i load books that i already have on my computer into the kindle without conversion?
yep, if they are drm free mobi, azw, pdf, or txt files

Quote:
and, if i do convert them, will they be formatted properly?
yep

Quote:
i though Amazon put a lock on importing any content to it
nope
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #7
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The nice thing about the Jetbook is that it reads SO many formats with no conversion necessary. That is not the case with the Kindle. You can email your personal docs to the Kindle, and Amazon will convert them for you. This will work with mobi, txt, html, doc, docx, pdf (I might be forgetting something). It will not work for lit or epub. The text of PDF files will be super small unless you put CONVERT in the subject line, in which case Amazon will convert the pdf to azw.

However it is much nicer to have Calibre email the documents to the Kindle. And documents turn out nicer if you convert them in Calibre first, also. If you email it yourself, your email address will show up in the Author column. If Calibre emails it, the title and author will show up correctly in the list. Also with Calibre it is easy to check and see how your converted document will look before actually sending it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Yep. Great stuff from everyone here as always on MR. And do notice how often calibre is mentioned.

Pretty much should be every ebook reader's MVP app IMO.

Congrats and enjoy the new Kindle
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
content, jetbook, kindle