Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Hola, Hitch! I do apologize if I have associated you with a process that doesn't meet with your approval!

It's true that my books are mostly vanilla, now that I have abandoned drop-caps. However that may be, my least successful books are those that were uploaded as Word docs in 2007, the moderately successful books are those that were uploaded as html (usually zipped) from 2008 to 2011, and the most successful are those that have been uploaded as epubs last year and this.

In any event, I will stop giving you credit, though I will always be grateful. -- NJ
NJ:

I'm just saying: and you should test it yourself--that you can convert an ePUB with KP, and upload that to the KDP, rather than what you're doing. And, yes, of course--you should download the preview file and triple-check it, especially if you don't do this all day long, which turns your brain into mush. ;-) That's all I was saying. Taking an extra step, of uploading the preview again, really isn't necessary.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #32
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
But Hitch -- I take three steps with my dance (upload epub, download converted mobi, preview on KP) while you would have me take four (convert epub, upload mobi, download mobi, preview on KP). It's not I who am "[t]aking an extra step"!

Of course our purposes here are very different: I am uploading my own books, while you are formatting books for others to upload.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
But Hitch -- I take three steps with my dance (upload epub, download converted mobi, preview on KP) while you would have me take four (convert epub, upload mobi, download mobi, preview on KP). It's not I who am "[t]aking an extra step"!

Of course our purposes here are very different: I am uploading my own books, while you are formatting books for others to upload.
nj:

Of course. At our shop, we make 'em with KP, preview them on devices, and then we hand them over to the clients. We don't have your "extra" step of uploading (against Amazon's TOS for us to upload for a client, even though I know some shops offer it). It makes sense. ;-) I mean, the way each of us works makes sense, for our individual situations.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:21 AM   #34
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
I know quite a bit, but the person I'm asking for is a beginner and knows nothing. That is why I was looking for a solution which did not require HTML or CSS knowledge.

I'm now having a look at Jutoh, which might be easier and can generate output for Kindlegen. Is there somewhere in the forum where the product is discussed, as this is not the right place. Apart from one thread when it first started it seems mysteriously absent?
Tugger,

I have been using Jutoh for the last 2 weeks and it is the solution for your friend (I purchased a license). My current set up is MS-Word and Kindle Previewer to check the mobi file created (It can be MS-Word and directly the physical device). Everything else is done in the background by Jutoh. The tool creates a mobi compliant with KDP guidelines (Checked with KindleUnpack you can find here). However your friend will need to set up the styles in MS-Word and fine tune the mobi generation configuration. To achieve that you will need to help him with your HTML/CSS skills. Once it is done, no needs to know HTML, CSS, etc.

Jutoh forum: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/a...tools/messages

Last edited by abeonis; 07-01-2013 at 05:50 AM.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
Tugger
Connoisseur
Tugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueTugger can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle
Abeonis - thanks for your input.

I ended up using Sigil, which I am impressed with, and found easy.

I gave them a very detailed set of instructions, going through every step they needed. Unfortunately they just couldn't get it right, so I ended up doing it for them. Then they tried again on another book, but the same thing happened, and I had to help.

I'm not sure why they couldn't get it right, I know they tried. I think it was using the Sigil interface and some of the options that need to be set that was just too much for them.

So perhaps Jutoh would indeed be the answer for them.
Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote