Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 AM   #1
Lord Hutton
Lord Hutton began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Adobe Error (-432)

Hi to all on the forum, my first post, and new to the Sony Reader experience. OK, we have two readers (PRS-600's), a PC and a laptop, I originally set up the readers with two different authorisation in Adobe Digital Editions, however realised that this was not the way to go if we wanted to share books on the set-up, so agreed to consolidate on one authorisation. Fortunately we had not got too far down the road with only one book on Reader A, and 5 books on Reader B. I assumed it would be a simple matter to ask Waterstones to re-initial the download on the book on reader A, so that it could be moved to Reader B; Waterstones complied with my request. However when I try to download this book I get the Adobe Error (-432) and can not download it. Tried 3 times and now the link is closed again.
Any help with resolving error 432, and can anyone confirm if what we wish to do is possible. Thanks in antcipation.
Lord Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
kirstynrenee
kirstynrenee began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900, Ipad 3G
I am having the exact same problem. I have contacted Sony and they are investigating the problem and have for well over a month now. The last time I spoke with them they told me that since my situation is so unique to please give them a little bit more time to figure out what happened. I can purchase and download books now but I cannot download or read any books that I bought prior to when they re-initialized my Sony Reader account and my Adobe ID.
kirstynrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
kc5cychris
Connoisseur
kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-900
Lord Hutton, Did you deauthorized the unit that you were going to reset before starting your process of attemping to reintialize. Which is what you may need to do to get the A-unit to operate the same as unit B

something to try anyway
kc5cychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hutton View Post
Hi to all on the forum, my first post, and new to the Sony Reader experience. OK, we have two readers (PRS-600's), a PC and a laptop, I originally set up the readers with two different authorisation in Adobe Digital Editions, however realised that this was not the way to go if we wanted to share books on the set-up, so agreed to consolidate on one authorisation. Fortunately we had not got too far down the road with only one book on Reader A, and 5 books on Reader B. I assumed it would be a simple matter to ask Waterstones to re-initial the download on the book on reader A, so that it could be moved to Reader B; Waterstones complied with my request. However when I try to download this book I get the Adobe Error (-432) and can not download it. Tried 3 times and now the link is closed again.
Any help with resolving error 432, and can anyone confirm if what we wish to do is possible. Thanks in antcipation.

Wish I could help you but I don't know much about Waterstones and how they authorize their accounts. If it's anything like the Sony store, I'm guessing you're logged into Reader B's account in Waterstones and see the book in your purchased list but just can't re-download it? Are you able to re-download any of the other 5 books on that computer? If so, ignore what I've written below.

If you have adobe digital editions, I would say check to make sure that the computer you are downloading the book has the digital editions with the Reader B authorization. I forgot the key command, (Control+Shift+D?)that lets you deauthorize digital editions. You can deauthorize/reauthorize it if you are unsure. Just remember, there is a cap to how many computers/devices you can authorize. I'm not sure if by doing a simple deauthorize/reauthorize would count against that number.

Again, just make sure it's authorized to Reader B's account and when you log into Waterstones with that computer that you are also logging in with Reader B's account.

Last edited by MerLock; 02-11-2010 at 03:23 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #5
Lord Hutton

Basically gave up on trying to authorise this one book to both readers that we downloaded. Now we download only to one account and have both readers authorised to the same account. If we want to read this odd book again all we have to do is reauthorise one of the readers to the other account. Frustrating, but probably the way DRM is supposed to work, but does not consider that anyone can have joint ownership of digital media and therefore should be able to authorise to another account!!
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
kirstynrenee

Unfortunately, giving up is not an option for me since I have over 20 books I can't view. I have even tried to repurchase them and will not allow me since I have already purchased them.

The deauthorzation does not work when I try it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstynrenee View Post
I am having the exact same problem. I have contacted Sony and they are investigating the problem and have for well over a month now. The last time I spoke with them they told me that since my situation is so unique to please give them a little bit more time to figure out what happened. I can purchase and download books now but I cannot download or read any books that I bought prior to when they re-initialized my Sony Reader account and my Adobe ID.
Welcome to MR, kirstynrenee, and I'm sorry that you are having a problem with getting your books reauthorized to you again. I don't have any experience with this.

I do know that the Sony Reader Library and Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) have to have the exact same log in and password in order to authorize the DRM'd book to be read.
Did Sony set you up with a new log in and password when they redid it? Maybe, that is the problem?

Meanwhile, did you know that MR has an extensive library of free ebooks? ePub format and Sony BBeB / lrf format Also, you can check feedbooks.com and manybooks.net .

Plus, for free and for purchase ebooks you can check..
smashwords.com
baen.com
Plus Baen has a great free library

Please, let us know if you do or don't get the problem resolved.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
kirstynrenee

Sony changed my Adobe ID to match the email and password with my Sony Library account so everything matches. Also, I would think that if it were a DRM issue I would be able to repurchase all of the books that I can't read but it recognizes that I purchased them on my account.

I will definitely let you know if it does get resolved. Also if they tell me what caused this problem to happen.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Lord Hutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstynrenee View Post
Unfortunately, giving up is not an option for me since I have over 20 books I can't view. I have even tried to repurchase them and will not allow me since I have already purchased them.

The deauthorzation does not work when I try it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I believe you may have to get into your registry and search for AdobeID and change this to the latest email that Sony set up for you. Check this forum link
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/564035?tstart=0
Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
BruceB
BruceB began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
I hate "me too" posts, but "me too".

I'm switching computers. I was able to re-download all but 4 of my purchased books to the new PC from the sony bookstore (I got 134 of the 138 books). The 4 that I can't get all error with the "oh so helpful" "adobe error -432". I've also purchased (and received!) new books since this all began.

Sony support has been absolutely useless.

I've deauthorized, reauthorized, sprinkled chicken blood in a circle (should I do a pentagram?) all to no avail.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
kirstynrenee

I contacted Sony again last night and they were able to reset my books that I could not access, told me to log back in after they reset them and I was able to download the books. It took him only 15 minutes. I didn't get the name of the person but there is someone there who knows what to do.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #12
BruceB

Well I tried that trick last night and the 2 different "support" people that I chatted with had no clue on how to "reset a book". The first "support" droid I chatted with suggested that I upgrade to the latest version of the software (I was on 3.1.00.mumble, 3.1.01.mumble is current) so I did that and I don't get -432 anymore. Before you start saying "success", now I get -475.

The second one suggested that I upgrade the firmware on my 505. When I pointed out that I wasn't attempting to move stuff to the 505, just get it on my new laptop, he said, in essence, "sorry charlie. No can help"

I give up. Sony support sucks. Should I get a nook or a kindle instead?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
I hate "me too" posts, but "me too".

I'm switching computers. I was able to re-download all but 4 of my purchased books to the new PC from the sony bookstore (I got 134 of the 138 books). The 4 that I can't get all error with the "oh so helpful" "adobe error -432". I've also purchased (and received!) new books since this all began.

Sony support has been absolutely useless.

I've deauthorized, reauthorized, sprinkled chicken blood in a circle (should I do a pentagram?) all to no avail.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
Well I tried that trick last night and the 2 different "support" people that I chatted with had no clue on how to "reset a book". The first "support" droid I chatted with suggested that I upgrade to the latest version of the software (I was on 3.1.00.mumble, 3.1.01.mumble is current) so I did that and I don't get -432 anymore. Before you start saying "success", now I get -475.

The second one suggested that I upgrade the firmware on my 505. When I pointed out that I wasn't attempting to move stuff to the 505, just get it on my new laptop, he said, in essence, "sorry charlie. No can help"

I give up. Sony support sucks. Should I get a nook or a kindle instead?
Sorry, you are having problems. I always think it is amazing that anything works at all with all the different programs, developers from other countries, and operating systems we have.

It sounds like you have your new computer and the Reader authorized for the Sony store content.

On your new computer, ADE and Sony store still have the same exact log in and password as the old computer?

What file extension / type are the last 4 books with the error 475? Were they purchased through the Sony Store or imported there?

What Operating System are you using? XP, Vista, Win 7, Mac.... etc?

Don't give up yet, the 505 is a great Reader. I've had mine for almost a year and a half and haven't encountered any problems. I love the fact that I can buy the ePub format from other stores and it can be used by more than just my Sony.

Please keep us informed on your progress.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
BruceB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
It sounds like you have your new computer and the Reader authorized for the Sony store content.
I haven't done anything with the reader yet.

Quote:
On your new computer, ADE and Sony store still have the same exact log in and password as the old computer?
Yep, identical

Quote:
What file extension / type are the last 4 books with the error 475? Were they purchased through the Sony Store or imported there?
all are epub, all purchased thru the store (I use calibre for all non-DRM stuff)

Quote:
What Operating System are you using? XP, Vista, Win 7, Mac.... etc?
XP on the new machine, vista on the old one

Quote:
Don't give up yet, the 505 is a great Reader. I've had mine for almost a year and a half and haven't encountered any problems. I love the fact that I can buy the ePub format from other stores and it can be used by more than just my Sony.
I love mine too, it's the support that sucks. I'm not actively looking for a new reader, but when this one dies, sony is "dead to me"

Quote:
Please keep us informed on your progress.
Any progress will be entirely by accident as I have given up on ever getting an answer from Sony.