Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Rhialto
Enthusiast
Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhialto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Windows 8 and Surface

With the announced Microsoft Surface tablets, there is the prospect of being able to have Calibre running on the tablet that is used for reading. Being able to manage one's library and read books on the same platform is very enticing.

Questions:

Is Calibre going to be fully W8 compliant?

The Calibre viewer could be more important in the future. Right now, I just use it for checking if new additions to my library are properly formatted. If I had a Surface tablet, I would be interested in using it as my reader. Are there any features that the leading ebook readers have that the Calibre viewer lacks? Colors, fonts, others? One thing that occurs to me is that the 16:9 format of the Surface screen compared to the 4:3 of the iPad may make a 2-page landscape reading layout preferable.

Last edited by Rhialto; 07-10-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Correction of screen description for the pedants out there.
Rhialto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post
One thing that occurs to me is that the rectangular format of the Surface screen compared to the 4:3 of the iPad may make a 2-page landscape reading layout preferable.
Merely as a matter of curiosity, what shape do you consider a 4:3 screen to be if not rectangular?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't know what "fully W8 compliant" would entail, but from what I've heard, "normal" or "old" Windows programs are supposed to be able to run in some sort of compatibility mode or somesuch. So, if I had to guess, I'd say that you should at least be able to run Calibre versions that function under Win7, although without any kind of Win8 UI "improvements".
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I don't know what "fully W8 compliant" would entail, but from what I've heard, "normal" or "old" Windows programs are supposed to be able to run in some sort of compatibility mode or somesuch. So, if I had to guess, I'd say that you should at least be able to run Calibre versions that function under Win7, although without any kind of Win8 UI "improvements".
My understanding is that an Intel Surface tablet (but not an ARM one) will be able to run any Windows app.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Oh, there are non-x86 architectures available? I missed that, my bad.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Oh, there are non-x86 architectures available? I missed that, my bad.
Yes, there'll be two "flavours" of Windows 8 tablets. One with an Intel CPU, and the other with an ARM CPU. I imagine the ARM version will probably have better battery life, but the Intel version will be able to run existing Windows apps, and that could well be the key selling point. A practical alternative for people who want a tablet, but need Windows-only software.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
but the Intel version will be able to run existing Windows apps, and that could well be the key selling point. A practical alternative for people who want a tablet, but need Windows-only software.
It has potential. The main advantage could be coupling this tablet with a simple docking station that provides a keyboard, proper size monitor and USB ports and you suddenly have a replacement for a desktop PC that is a great tablet. Easy workplace management with existing enterprise security, infrastructure and applications.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote