Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
some Nook questions

I'm thinking about getting a Nook Color or maybe the Tablet - while I tend to be an Amazon girl, I don't think the Fire is ready for prime time just yet, and the Nook's specs are better. Too, Nooks just look more "finished" than other ereaders do.

I do have some questions about the Nooks in general.

I have heard that you need to have an active credit card on file with B&N, or your Nook is basically a brick - is this true? Can you get a B&N gift card and use that instead?

I've also heard that Nooks treat "books" (purchased from B&N) differently than "documents" (books purchased from someplace else, like Baen). How does that difference manifest?

My third question is about the sequestering of memory. I buy very few books from places like B&N or Amazon, and get more from places like Baen and Smashwords. I've heard that you can ask at a B&N store to change the memory partition - has anybody actually done this?

Thanks!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Nook Color or maybe the Tablet - while I tend to be an Amazon girl, I don't think the Fire is ready for prime time just yet, and the Nook's specs are better. Too, Nooks just look more "finished" than other ereaders do.

I do have some questions about the Nooks in general.

I have heard that you need to have an active credit card on file with B&N, or your Nook is basically a brick - is this true? Can you get a B&N gift card and use that instead?

I've also heard that Nooks treat "books" (purchased from B&N) differently than "documents" (books purchased from someplace else, like Baen). How does that difference manifest?

My third question is about the sequestering of memory. I buy very few books from places like B&N or Amazon, and get more from places like Baen and Smashwords. I've heard that you can ask at a B&N store to change the memory partition - has anybody actually done this?

Thanks!
1. B&N's DRM uses the credit card number and name to encrypt the books. So you always need a valid credit card, even when using gift cards.

2. Only the original Nook ereader treated non-B&N books different. All other Nook eraders show all your books in one library view.

3. B&N stores can only repartition Nook Colors at the moment, and only to the new partitioning model ( 5 GB B&N content, 1 GB non-B&N).
If you are only sideloading books than the 1 GB available for non-B&N content on the Nook Color and Nook Tablet is enough for more than 1000 books. And a 4 GB micro SD-card enough for more than 4000 books will only cost you about $5.
And if you are buying B&N magazines and apps you will be glad that B&N partitioned the memory this way.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert