Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #31
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Given what i've read here, I am going to wait about a week for the rush to subside and for the kinks to be worked out. I hope you early adopters are enjoying your hard earned upgrade, though.
Copy that.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #32
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Going to wait a bit and see the how the fallout goes.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Given what i've read here, I am going to wait about a week for the rush to subside and for the kinks to be worked out. I hope you early adopters are enjoying your hard earned upgrade, though.
Not a very good start for Tim Cook. First, there was the lackluster and disappointing launch of pretty much nothing at last week's Apple event and now this botched roll out of iOS 5 / iCloud.

Maybe next time he'll have his ducks in a row.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally got my upgrade. Now it's slowly rebuilding my apps. I have hundreds loaded on my touch and all in folders.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:22 AM   #35
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
iCloud Backup.

OK I went into Settings, iCloud, Storage and Backup, Backup Now and ran a backup which seemed to go fine. However it says "Last Backup: Unknown".

Any ideas? Shouldn't it show a date and time?

Last edited by BobLenx; 10-13-2011 at 07:26 AM.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #36
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I got the update, and I downloaded my apps again, which was a pain but OTOH I've organized them better now. But I don't have iMessage, which I thought I'd get. Does everyone else who has updated gotten iMessage?
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #37
BobLenx
Connoisseur
BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BobLenx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony505 K2 K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I got the update, and I downloaded my apps again, which was a pain but OTOH I've organized them better now. But I don't have iMessage, which I thought I'd get. Does everyone else who has updated gotten iMessage?
The icon is labelled Messages, I got it.
BobLenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #38
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
My iTouch took four hours, between the iTunes update and device update and restore.

If I had an iPhone I doubt I would have even attempted to update with all the horror stories.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #39
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLenx View Post
The icon is labelled Messages, I got it.
Hmm I tried searching "messages" and it comes up, but I have no icon. Weird.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #40
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Can someone help me with my initial question ...

How iOs5 will get rid of iTunes? I mean... do I have to turn Cloud services on or what? Because "I hate iTunes with all my heart" , lol ...

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM   #41
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Can someone help me with my initial question ...

How iOs5 will get rid of iTunes? I mean... do I have to turn Cloud services on or what? Because "I hate iTunes with all my heart" , lol ...

I have no idea. Go here to get started and maybe it'll answer your question.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #42
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have no idea. Go here to get started and maybe it'll answer your question.
Dang! tubemonkey ... you want me to read all that stuff? ... let me take a quick look ...
Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Dang! tubemonkey ... you want me to read all that stuff? ... let me take a quick look ...
It's simple to set up.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:53 AM   #44
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's simple to set up.
Ok... read the whole stuff already, at least, the thing I need to ... iPad and Mac. But still does not answer my question.

Agree, setup is piece of cake, but these are my questions:

-Can I combine or go back to iTunes method?
-What if I go beyond 5GB?
-What's the frequency for those backups

I believe we do have 5GB free only and I am not planning to spend a dime on extra space. So I would like to know how they are really counting space on iCloud.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I believe we do have 5GB free only and I am not planning to spend a dime on extra space. So I would like to know how they are really counting space on iCloud.
Apple content is free; non-Apple stuff isn't. If you exceed 5GB, you'll need to buy more.

Quote:
When you sign up for iCloud, you automatically get 5GB of free storage. And that’s plenty of room, because of the way iCloud stores your content. Your purchased music, apps, books, and TV shows, as well as your Photo Stream, don’t count against your free storage. Since your mail, documents, Camera Roll, account information, settings, and other app data don’t use as much space, you’ll find that 5GB goes a long way. And if you need more storage, you can easily purchase a storage upgrade right from your device.