Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Stripping extra line returns

What are your suggestions for a filter to strip out unwanted line returns embedded within a paragraph? I keep having that problem with PDF conversions.
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
In word, e.g.:
Find: ([a-z,;'])^13([a-zA-Z]) or ([a-z,;'])^13^10([a-zA-Z])
Replace: \1^32\2
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Replacing Breaks using Word
Paste the text file into a word document. Save it.
Open Find and Replace (In the “Edit” menu). You need to make three passes with it.
1. Find ^p^p (i.e. find two paragraph marks. The symbols are in More then Special. The paragraph mark is at the top of the list.). Replace with @ (These act as placeholders to preserve the real paragraphs.)
2. Now, for the second pass, find ^p (single paragraph mark). Replace with a single space.
3. Finally, for the third pass, find @ and replace with either a single paragraph mark, or two paragraph marks if you prefer an empty line between paragraphs.

Stingo’s Word Macro
This does a good job at removing the hard line breaks in text files and making a reflowable document. It also sets the font to Times New Roman, point 14. Once installed, it is very easy to use. Paste your text file into a word document. Save the Doc and run the macro.
You can find it here, together with instructions on how to install it:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8793
(The only time this has ever given me trouble was when I failed to save the doc before running the macro. It crashed.)

BookCreator and Book Designer
MobileRead member =X= has produced BookCreator. This is a Word template containing a number of useful macros, which speed up the editing process. He envisages using it in connection with Calibre. However, it is entirely feasible to run the macros and then import the edited document into BD.
BookCreator is available here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
I don't want word (to pay for it OR to have it cluttering my hard disk) so I found an alternative.

The problem is you have to use multiple steps since you want get RID Of LB's but want to KEEP LBLB's (double line breaks)

I use notepad++

CTRL H to bring up replace.

First pass

replace the DESIRED LBLB to something else

To: DOUBLEBREAK (or anything else not likely to appear in your text)

run it

now run this

to: Nothing (literally nothing leave it blank)

there all the LB's are now deleted

now run this

to: \r\n\r\n

there you go. All done. I am still working on a way to automate this somehow into a macro or something.

These are coming from PDF so I use office convert to convert them to RTF I open in word pad and use file save to reduce file size (have not tried to skip this step yet)

then open in notepad++ and run those replacement routines save as text file. Works a treat.

I will try saving as RTF too see if it makes any difference in size or anything like that.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote