Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Wasted screen real estate

I just got a Kindle 2 and I've noticed that valuable screen space is wasted.

I have text size set to the minumum and the 'Words per line' set to default, but there is too much margin on both sides, and enough space unused for 3 or 4 more lines of text, two at the top and two at the bottom. Also, the 'header and footer' info areas take up a lot more room that they could.

Is there a way to get more use of the already quite small screen? Or is it up to the individual book formatting?
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
The footer and header are spaced for definitions and differently sized titles. The sides as well as the footer and header are spaced the way they are to be easy on the eyes. Imagine a real book which had no margins, I think the book would be much harder to read. I am not sure of a way to correct this concern you have.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not a huge deal, but my Sony reader had the same size screen and used it more efficiently.

In comparison my phone (3.5 inch screen) when viewing the same book shows half a line text less than the 6-inch Kindle screen.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Doesn't do anything about the real estate, but you know you can change the line spacing, right? ALT+SHIFT 1-9.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
djgreedo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Doesn't do anything about the real estate, but you know you can change the line spacing, right? ALT+SHIFT 1-9.

Mike
Thanks, that actually makes a big improvement. I get a few more lines of text on the screen.
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorz View Post
The footer and header are spaced for definitions and differently sized titles. The sides as well as the footer and header are spaced the way they are to be easy on the eyes. Imagine a real book which had no margins, I think the book would be much harder to read. I am not sure of a way to correct this concern you have.
Margins are subjective. So who decided that having such wide margins is actually a good idea? To me, I prefer no margins on my 505. A paper book is different then an eink screen. So comparing the two as far as margins doesn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote