Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Asus DR-950, April release at £250

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/26/a...-a-likely-250/

Quote:
ASUS hasn't exactly been tight-lipped about its DR-950 e-reader -- you know, with it outing photos and all -- but apparently the 9-inch E Ink, touchscreen reading device will be ready for buyers in April.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Looks nice.

It might win me over.
Sony, do you hear?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Some more pictures.

I find it far more attractive than the iPad (Subjective, I know). If the screen is as good or better than the Sony 505 (and so far it sure looks like it) then I'm buying one.

I don't need all the bells and whistles of the iPad/iTab. All I want is something like my 505, Only faster, larger, and with better contrast.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
At that price, it sound intersting indead.

Seam it read ePub and pdf, if it can take notes too, it's mine
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
ASUS hasn't exactly been tight-lipped about its DR-950 e-reader -- you know, with it outing photos and all -- but apparently the 9-inch E Ink, touchscreen reading device will be ready for buyers in April.
Isn't this a SiPix screen?
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
Isn't this a SiPix screen?
that's what I read too.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berk View Post
I don't need all the bells and whistles of the iPad/iTab. All I want is something like my 505, Only faster, larger, and with better contrast.
Ditto.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
that's what I read too.
Thirded.

That's also why I hope that the screen is better than eInk.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
From the screenshots, the displays better black is very nice. Yes, the white is also a bit darker, but it doesn't seem to matter in comparison. I also believe SiPix doesn't have the black flash...I'd like to know the page turn speed, if it's even close to reasonable then...

...well, it'd seem that SiPix really *is* that much cheaper, and e-Ink corp can go hang.

From the Electricpig article:

"The Asus DR-950 will pack a 1024×768 resolution display, and on the software front will offer RSS feeds, translation and text to speech. It’ll also pack 2 or 4GB of internal memory and an SD slot, Wi-Fi and HSDPA or even WiMax, plus a USB port for sideloading, a 3.5m audio port for music.

The Asus DR-950 will support PDF, TXT, Audible, MP3, ePub, HTML, JPEG, GIF, PNG and BMP file formats."

...Nice.

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-28-2010 at 03:39 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Looks like epub is not an Adobe implementation so no DRM support otherwise an excellent device
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

*care*, given my refusal to buy DRM'ed ebooks.

I do wonder who they're planning on for content partners, given that mind you.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #12
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
It's either this or Samsungs e101 with Google books that's caught my interest. Although the estimated price of $700 is very high. If Asus is going for $354 I don't see how Samsung is gonna be able to charge $700.

thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
DawnFalcon
Banned

£250 doesn't translate to $354. It translates to $250.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Sipix displays are less DPI(130's or 140's can't find it right this second) and the speed is no faster. The blacks are a bit darker but then so are the whites.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
Dave Berk
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Sipix displays are less DPI(130's or 140's can't find it right this second) and the speed is no faster. The blacks are a bit darker but then so are the whites.
Going by the pictures available it sure looks better than, for example, the equally set up pictures of the PRS-300 by Sony.