Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #1
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
PDF Support for 'Fit visible' or 'Paging while zoomed'?

I'm curious if the DR1000 supports the following for PDFs:

Fit Visible: the page is automatically zoomed in so the white space of the margins are cropped. I saw this shown in a video of the Onyx Boox reader.

Paging while zoomed: this is where after you zoom into the page, you can use the next / prev buttons to move the zoomed view like a sliding window in a Z-like pattern, where it first scrolls across the page, and at the edge, it moves the window down and back to the opposite edge. Then once the bottom is reached, next will go to the next page. I think the Sony may do something like this. What I don't want is to have the next / prev buttons actually go to the next page and show the a zoomed view of the next page, which means I have to use the stylus to constantly shift the window around back and forth. Scrolling is for LCDs, not e-ink.

It's likely that the DR800 will have different PDF features compared to the DR1000 since it will be using the Adobe engine. But it's possible that the DR800 implementation may initially lack features from the DR1000 due to the newness of the implementation.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
The first function is supported - it's called 'Hide Margins'
The second one works if you activate 'Page Flow' while in zoom mode Unfortunately it's not a Z-like pattern - however, that's not a problem since we have vertical and horizontal scrolling. So if you want to move across you just touch the horizontal buttons and the vertical ones if you want to move up or down

Last edited by myprecious; 12-02-2009 at 02:00 PM.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Normally I do not need the zoom mode for reading documents/magazines that have A4/Letter size on the DR, so I played with the zoom for the first time, (I was made curious by your post). The most inconvenient is that you need the stylus when using the zoom mode, there is no possibility that allows the buttons to be used for panning over the document and flipping pages, you first need to switch mode or use the stylus to select the next page in the PageBar.
But then, with such a large screen, you will not need the zoom mode very much.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
But surely you can use the buttons to pan without the stylus. All you have to do is activate the 'Page Flow' mode.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
But surely you can use the buttons to pan without the stylus. All you have to do is activate the 'Page Flow' mode.
Yes, sure. I think the way it is implemented now is fairly good, but it could be improved by allowing both zooming and page turning without using the stylus.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Yes, sure. I think the way it is implemented now is fairly good, but it could be improved by allowing both zooming and page turning without using the stylus.
I agree. I just want to add that rotating to landscape with page flow mode is another way to zoom without going through the zooming menu.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote