Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #1
Orac
Orac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hello Everyone!

I stumbled across this site whilst looking for info on the various ebook readers that are available. There's lots of useful info here. I haven't got a reader yet but I was thinking about the Sony PRS-505, hopefully before I go on holiday an a couple of weeks. I'm still confused about all the different formats. I read mainly Sci-Fi/Fantasy but also enjoy the likes of Michael Crichton/Dan Brown/John Grisham/Harlen Coben.

Cheers,
Orac
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Hi Orac and welcome to Mobileread. I've had a Sony prs505 for some time now (silver of course! the only colour to have) and would be lost without it. If that becomes your choice I am sure you will enjoy it.

Ask any ebook/reader related questions you may have and somebody will know the answer. You will find us friendly and helpful.

Lots of free public domain books here at MR plus news of publishers freebies and where to buy for best value
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
hello orac I to have the silver 505 and love it..take it with me where ever I go..fantastic site here lots of free books and tons of information..and the sony is the best vacation buddy you can have with you...let us know when you get your new toy and happy reading
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Orac, and Click image for larger version

Name:	multicolor2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	32661 to Mobileread.

I too have a Silver Sony 505 and love it, love it, love it.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Orac and welcome to MobileRead. Don't you listen to those silver owners. Go for the blue
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Gladtobemom
Connoisseur
Gladtobemom began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook, Palm Z72
Hello,

Also a big Sci-Fi reader here.
Have you checked out the Cybook or the Cool-ER?
Gladtobemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:30 PM   #7
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Orac!

I have a Sony 700 and love it, but no matter which reader you end up purchasing, it will become your most faithful companion! As to the question of formats, each Sony owner will probably give you a different answer as to which they prefer for the reader. I tend to use the .lrf format which is the one originally intended for the Sony readers, although EPUB and pdf files will work. I usually buy my ebooks in .lit format and convert them for use on my reader. When the time comes to purchase ebooks and if you still have questions, feel free to ask. We are all happy to help.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:15 AM   #8
Orac

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I wasn't aware the PRS-505 was available in different colours. Hmm, my iPod is blue ... maybe I'll go for a matching pair!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Welcome!

Let me guess, a fellow Blakes-7 fan?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
Orac

Dead right LazyScot!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Orac -- given that you are fond of SF/F, get yourself right over to www.baen.com/library and check out the over 100 free SF/F novels available. If you buy the Sony reader, download the LRF or ePub format of the book.

Orbit offers one book each month for $1.00. For July, that's Hidden Empire by Kevin J. Anderson. See http://www.onedollarorbit.com/ for information on how to get the discounted book.

Random House has set up http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/ as a place to distribute free SF/F books. The very first ones they offered will be available for free through 19 August, and they keep adding books to the list.

Oh yes, I should also say WELCOME! to MobileRead.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #12
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot;
Welcome!

Let me guess, a fellow Blakes-7 fan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orac;
Dead right LazyScot!
That dates both of you - and me great series!
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote