Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
daniel_hokkaido
Enthusiast
daniel_hokkaido began at the beginning.

Device: sonyprs 505, pocketbook pro 603
recharging issues

Hi all,

I got my prs 505 last week and gave it a charge with an adapter i got with it from the ebay seller. That charge gave me a week of reading.

But today my reader froze after i loaded up some new books. So i got the adapter and plugged it in. I left it an hour or so and came back and saw the red light had gone off, so i assumed it had fully charged, even though it was only an hour charging.

The player behaved like a schizo. Sometimes it turned on, showing half the main menu for a second then going off again. and other times (less times) i got the start up screen and then the player froze again after a few menu selections.

All classic battery is low symptoms. So i plugged the adapter in again and noticed that the red light only stayed on for a minute and then went off every time i put it in. I tried this several times and then decided that a) the adapter port was faulty or b) the generic (but compatible) adapter i had gotten with the reader was faulty.

So i plugged the reader in with the usb to charge that way. The reader hardware still turns up on my pc no problem so that is something. The red light came on and lasted a good 20minutes and now has just gone off also.

So i just want to know if i should just leave it for several hours even though the light is off and assume it is still charging.

I ordered the reader from the states but i am in Japan. I want to avoid any lengthy solution etc posting it back. But i am still worried a bit about this problem.

Any advice would be great!

ANother issue i have noticed on the sony esupport site is moisture due to changes in temperature. Today is around 10 degrees hotter than the past few weeks and spring is on us big time. So i wonder if the reader (at work now) has freaked out due to the higher humidity all of a sudden?? i doubt this though.

regards,
Daniel.
daniel_hokkaido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
As I understand it, no Red light = no charging, so if it's had 20 mins then gone off, try it & see. With the eBay adapter, is that plugging into the mini-USB port or the round, yellow-rimmed port? (For reliable charging, it should be the round one - again, check for the red light to stay on.)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Konbanwa!

I've noticed that my 505 takes a couple of hours to charge when plugged into the USB port of my computer, with the red light staying on the entire time.

The other day I bought a couple of different chargers for the PSP that were recommended to me quite cheaply (for Japan, anyway. ¥600 & ¥950) One is for the regular charging port and one is an AC-to-USB charger. Some folks say that the AC-to-USB doesn't work for the 505. Someone else here said it worked for them. The clerk at the store 'thought' it would work but wasn't sure. I'll be testing it over the weekend. However, when either of them are plugged into the 505 and the source, the red light is glowing brightly. If your little red light is out, it sounds as if Tinkerbell isn't feeling so healthy....

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A USB wall charger (ie a charger that connects to the USB socket of the Reader) will NOT work. You need a charger which connects to the "charger" socket of the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A USB wall charger (ie a charger that connects to the USB socket of the Reader) will NOT work. You need a charger which connects to the "charger" socket of the Reader.
So far, my experiments are showing that Harry is correct....

My 505 was at half charge last night when I plugged it into one of the two AC-to-USB PSP chargers I picked up. Although the red light came on, the 505 was still at half charge this morning, eight hours after I plugged it in.

Harry, you're batting 500 so far. Tonight I'll plug it into the other AC-to-USB charger and try that. Your entire pro-league future is ridding on it. Either you wind up at 1000, or we have to send you down to the sand-lot teams. Smart money says you'll be in the Big Leagues for a while yet.
(and I'll be out the cost of two chargers! Worth it in the name of Science. )

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert