Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM   #1
Cranfordrd
Cranfordrd began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Exporting list of books from iBooks ?

I have 100s of books on a shelf in iBooks (on my iPad) labeled "read". These are all the books I've read. For various reasons I'm no longer using iBooks and I want to have a "list" of all the books I've read elsewhere ( goodreads, library thing, any other app that allows meet maintain a list preferably with cover picture). I can't imagine searching for all those books in one of these apps or typing the names into a spreadsheet so I'm hoping there is a way to export a list of books with titles and authors from iBooks that I can then import into another app. Any ideas?
Cranfordrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Amazon purchased GoodReads, so you can forget about any integration between it and iBooks. I'm not sure what else might be available.
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Amazon purchased GoodReads, so you can forget about any integration between it and iBooks. I'm not sure what else might be available.
But if you could export a spreadsheet, that wouldn't be necessary. Hence, the OP asked about exporting as a list.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But if you could export a spreadsheet, that wouldn't be necessary. Hence, the OP asked about exporting as a list.
The OP also specifically asked about GoodReads, hence my response.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Exporting list of books from iBooks ?

Roundabout way… switch iBooks to list view. Capture a screen shot and crop it to show only titles and author, then run it through an OCR app. You may need to do it multiple times if it is a long list spanning many screens.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
Cranfordrd

Thanks, can you tell me what an OCR app is?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:52 PM   #7
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OCR = optical character recognition. It's software that can recognize text in images and convert it to editable text. You should be able to find something free for iOS, Windows, or Mac. If you have access to Microsoft OneNote, it does a pretty good job. That's what I have used for small bits of text.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #8
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Another thought… I wonder if there is a way to export a list from iTunes? If you connect your device via USB, you should be able to list the books in iTunes.

Edit: Okay, this worked for me, but I only have audiobooks on my devices, since my ebooks are in Marvin and not seen by iTunes. But anyway, I connected my device to iTunes with USB, then in the sidebar (which you might need to enable from the View menu) click the arrow next to the name of the device, then right click on "Books" (making sure you are in the device submenu and not the library) and you will get an export option. In the Export screen you can choose text, XML, or M3U. It will include all the books, though, not just those in your read collection--assuming it even works for ebooks.

Last edited by MeSue; 01-18-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #9
Cranfordrd

Fabulous! Thank you so much for taking the time to figure this out. I'll try this today!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
way cool. That does indeed work. It shows both the ebooks and the audio books. Note, you can also export a playlist. I use that to keep a list of the audiobooks that I have.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
export, ibooks, list, shelf