Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #61
djg000111
djg000111 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi original
Thanks for your comments and help.

Also, thanks for your recommendation. I have a pool and a hot tub and I like to read while soaking. A water resistant eReader is requirement for my new eReader. I like the KOBO because I can easily load articles that I convert to ePub onto the eReader. I see that the Nook has a new water proof eReader. The new Nook had a great introductory offer of $30.00 off the list price; however, that offer ended on 19 December.

I have seen the directory "update" and the md5 file on my old eReader. I did remove those items but I do not remember the sequence. I have never tried removing KoboRoot.tgz before ejecting the device. Today, is no work on my old eReader because I have spent too much time yesterday on trying to fix it.

Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #62
djg000111

I have just look at the posts for the new NOOK glowlight plus. I am a Mac user. I am not going to buy the NOOK glowlight plus. I am going to buy the new KOBO H2O, if it works with Mac.
Advert
Old 12-21-2015, 04:45 PM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg000111 View Post
Also, thanks for your recommendation. I have a pool and a hot tub and I like to read while soaking. A water resistant eReader is requirement for my new eReader. I like the KOBO because I can easily load articles that I convert to ePub onto the eReader. I see that the Nook has a new water proof eReader. The new Nook had a great introductory offer of $30.00 off the list price; however, that offer ended on 19 December.
With the pool and hot tub, the Aura H2O and the new Nook are the obvious choices. I have an Aura H2O as well, and it is a very good device. I normally use the Glo HD as it is more convenient during my commute. All the Kobo devices should work with Macs.
Quote:
I have seen the directory "update" and the md5 file on my old eReader. I did remove those items but I do not remember the sequence. I have never tried removing KoboRoot.tgz before ejecting the device. Today, is no work on my old eReader because I have spent too much time yesterday on trying to fix it.
The "update" directory contains boot and kernel images. The KoboRoot.tgz contains the rest of the OS and the application side of the firmware. To prevent an upgrade, you need to remove both.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #64
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg000111 View Post
I like the KOBO because I can easily load articles that I convert to ePub onto the eReader.
If these are articles on the web, you might want to try Pocket instead of converting the articles manually - it's quick and easy.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:11 AM   #65
PoppaStevo
PoppaStevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi N647
N647 Firmware required

Like everyone else here, I am also looking for a copy of the firmware file.

My N647 has been running fine until I plugged in a charger cable today, there was a advisory of 'Upgrading' and then no books in my library. Now, after a few resets - with/without Ext SD card etc. I am stuck on the Kobo start screen with 5 blocks in the bottom righthand corner? Not sure why

I also cannot connect to the Kobo from my Windows PC. There are books on the external card, but after getting the internal SD card out and trying it on another PC I am advised it needs formatting? All my devices are Windows 10, so I am guessing I will need to set up a Ubuntu/Linux boot USB drive to do anything with the internal SD card (but I previously could see data on both SD cards?)
Advert
Old 01-03-2016, 07:42 AM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PM sent with the link to the image. See Memory Upgrade Mod Guide for instructions for using the image. The instructions are for the Glo, but the steps and tools needed are the same.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #67
PoppaStevo

Thanks David, for the image and the link to the instructions. My mission for today!
Old 01-03-2016, 11:59 PM   #68
PoppaStevo

David kindly sent me a link to get the N647 firmware and instructions to load a new image to the internal microSD card. The reimaging went well, I did it on a 2Gb card and a new 8Gbcard, I could see the partitions created OK using MiniTools Partition Wizard.

But putting either of the cards into the Kobo WiFi doesn't seem to work. But maybe this is not a firmware issue. The display is frozen - showing kobo logo, eReading: anytime, anyplace and 5 blocks in the bottom right hand corner. The display doesn't change no matter what I do (even unplugging the battery).

I don't seem to be able to power cycle the Kobo - I have tried the long press on the power button until led goes off (display stays the same), press to power it on. I have tried the reset button (several times with light on and off) - nothing changes. If I plug the USB cable in the light changes to a purple colour, then straight red if I hold the power button for a long time.

At the moment I am trying to flatten the battery by leaving it on (blue light showing) but that could take a while.

Any suggestions from anyone as to what else I can try? Starting to think it is time to replace it with something else.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #69
djg000111

I have the N647 with the exact same problem. I declared the eReader dead.
I have reviewed the MobileRead information about other new eReaders. Unfortunately, the best eReader for me is made by Kobo. I am waiting for a good price from various sellers before I buy another Kobo eReader.
I hope that after 5 years, I do not receive an update from Kobo that kills my eReader.
Actually, I think after two years, the eReader that I can buy today will be so obsolete that I will through it in the trash.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:39 AM   #70
PoppaStevo

Davidfor sent me a link to the correct N647 firmware (not the N647B version). Reimaged the internal microSD card and the Kobo WiFi is up and running again - now with an 8Gb internal microSD card so lots of space for other books.

Many thanks David, truly a Grand Sorcerer..
Old 01-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #71
chris forget
chris forget began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Would it be possible for me to get a copy of the sd card image for the N647B, please?
I managed to avoid updating this thing for several years, but my daughter wanted to add some books and appears to have allowed it to update
Old 01-30-2016, 09:07 PM   #72
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #73
chris forget
chris forget began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thumbs up

Thanks Davidfor.
Image worked perfectly, I also took opportunity to increase sdcard size.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #74
Ranger1954
Ranger1954 began at the beginning.

Device: n647
Davidfor seems to be the guru on this topic. Would you send me a link to image for a N647(not N647B - I checked)? My friend's N647 has the exact same problem with firmware 1.9.12(10/16/14). Before it is called a brick I thought I would check around for solutions.
I will check the thread for Memory Upgrade Mod Guide for using the image. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #75
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Closed Thread

Tags
n647 firmware requested