Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #1
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hong Kong is done.
How to change the cbz book names showing in the device?

Hi guys,

I have some comic books with Chinese file names. I add the cbz files to my device using Calibre. But the book names showing in the device isn't the name of the cbz file name. Cbz should be the zip file of a group of pictures only. There is no other information included.

Can anyone tell me how to amend the name?

For example, I don't know where the book name "Yan Yan Zhi.." comes from. It supposes to be the same as the name of the second book (which is epub format) in the picture below:
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Thanks for helpling.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-14-2016 at 02:38 PM.
344a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Any time I have put a CBZ on any of my Kobo ereaders, the file name is used for the title of the book. The author is "Unknown Author". Your example is probably using the file name. The name comes from the save template you have in the driver configuration. This commonly has the book title as part of it. When sending the book to the device, calibre will convert the name to something safe for the file system. My guess is that this is what has happened here and what you are seeing is the actual file name. I don't have any Chinese CBZ's here, but I have just sent an epub with a Japanese title to my Glo HD and the file name uses only English letters.

As you are using calibre, get my Kobo Utilities plugin. You can use the "Update metadata in device library" function to fix this. This updates the database on the device directly and can set the metadata to whatever is in the calibre library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #3
344a
Groupie
344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.344a ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Daivd. You guys are great. I will try the plugins later today.

I got another question. I converted the cbz to epub for curiosity (using the online conversion tool). But when I open it in my device, the graphic only occupies half of the screen. The same epub seems normal when I open it in my laptop.

Any idea how can I fix it in the Calibre?

I am sorry for asking so many questions.

Last edited by 344a; 04-13-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You could add KOReader, it handles .cbz fairly well and a number of the developers on the project at Github work on Chinese issues.

Luck;
Ken

KCC works to produce good files for KOReader, as well.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-14-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 344a View Post
Thanks Daivd. You guys are great. I will try the plugins later today.

I got another question. I converted the cbz to epub for curiosity (using the online conversion tool). But when I open it in my device, the graphic only occupies half of the screen. The same epub seems normal when I open it in my laptop.

Any idea how can I fix it in the Calibre?

I am sorry for asking so many questions.
Firstly, no apologies are needed no matter how many questions you ask. Except maybe if they are really, really dumb questions. You're nowhere near that.

Secondly, I wouldn't trust an online conversion tool. A lot of them use calibre to do the conversion, but, the last time I looked, they all used older versions and didn't let you customize the conversion.

In calibre, for an CBZ to epub conversion, a lot depends on the size of the source images and whether they get resized by the conversion. If the images are larger than the output profile specified, they will be downscaled to the size in the profile. If they are smaller, they will not be changed. Then, when the HTML is built for the image, it is simple img tag with a style to match the size of the image. This will mean that the images will be display at their native size. So, a 600x800 image will fill a little more than half the screen of an Aura H2O. Your screenshot looks like this is what is happening. If your CBZ have higher resolution images, maybe the online conversion is downscaling them.

There are some options in the CBZ to epub conversion to play with. I am by no means an expert on this and can only suggest that you play with them to see how they work.

There is also KCC ("Kindle Comic Converter" or something like that). It has some predefined output formats for the conversion including kepubs appropriate for each Kobo device. I'm not a great fan of this, but I'm also not a great fan of any CBZ to epub conversion. But, I also don't read comic much and haven't really played with this.

Because of the above, I do wonder why anyone would convert their comics. The Kobo ereaders handle CBR and CBZ. With these formats, they have the big advantage that you can zoom, pan and rotate the images. Smaller images will be scaled to fit the screen. The page position will be remembered correctly if you open an close it.
Advert
Old 04-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
344a
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You could add KOReader, it handles .cbz fairly well and a number of the developers on the project at Github work on Chinese issues.

Luck;
Ken

KCC works to produce good files for KOReader, as well.
Thx dude. I will try the KOReader later.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #7
344a
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, no apologies are needed no matter how many questions you ask. Except maybe if they are really, really dumb questions. You're nowhere near that.

Secondly, I wouldn't trust an online conversion tool. A lot of them use calibre to do the conversion, but, the last time I looked, they all used older versions and didn't let you customize the conversion...
The plugins are working fine for me.

I was just curious which formats are working better in the Kobo. I will stick with cbz.

Thanks. You guys are so helpful.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

344a:
Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines will be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:59 AM   #9
bookaquarius
bookaquarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Hi David,

After using Kobo Utilities plugin to update metadata on device library for cbz files, the font size in the synopsis tab on device is really tiny, something like 6pt (MS Word). Is there any way to change the size?

Thanks for the wonderful plugin.
bookaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:29 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaquarius View Post
After using Kobo Utilities plugin to update metadata on device library for cbz files, the font size in the synopsis tab on device is really tiny, something like 6pt (MS Word). Is there any way to change the size?
The synopsis display respects any styles set in the code of the comments. I've had to clean up a few sets of comments to get good displays on the device. You can usually see the problems in the details pane in calibre for the book.
Quote:
Thanks for the wonderful plugin.
Glad you like it.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:44 AM   #11
bookaquarius
bookaquarius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The synopsis display respects any styles set in the code of the comments. I've had to clean up a few sets of comments to get good displays on the device. You can usually see the problems in the details pane in calibre for the book.
Thanks for the pointer. I managed to make the change

Last edited by bookaquarius; 05-15-2016 at 10:22 AM.
bookaquarius is offline   Reply With Quote