Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Dividizzl
Dividizzl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Thumbs down Cant get past the set language menu

Im starting to get really frustrated with this device. I have the Kobo Touch ereader which i got at Christmas, it's been fine up until now.

When i turn it on it does the software processing(which takes forever.. i actually thought it had froze a couple of times but no.. just sooo slow) and then it goes to a screen that prompts me to choose a language i have it set on english already so i press 'set language' and it reloads the exact same page... and it keeps on doing this i cant get past it.
I've tried resetting it and turning it off and on. I can't factory reset it because i cant get to the main menu where all my books are to acess the settings. I've reset it a few times now and ive been googling and reading through forums and i haven't found a solution. Im hoping someone can give me some advice.

Some further information. I use Calibre and have been using the program since about january and i haven't had any issues. I had just recently downloaded a whole bunch of books from torrent websites... i have done this before but not nearly as much as i have now i went a little crazy. Anyway i put all that could fit on the device (about 300) and then i went out and got a mini SD card and uploaded the rest to that using Calibre and thats when the problems have arisen. I tried taking the card out and i cant get past the language menu though. So im still at loss of what it is.

And yes it has the most recent software on the kobo.

Thanks.

Last edited by Dividizzl; 05-08-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Dividizzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
You can do a factory reset by holding the power button and the home button for ten seconds or until the factory reset screen comes up.

I'm not sure I know which "Processing" screen you mean, is it booting screen with the squares that turn black, the "Processing New Content" screen or the updating software screen with the hour glass?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Dividizzl

Processing new content screen...... now i accidentally set the language to french.... But it still does the processing new content screen. Thanks for the info about how to factory restore using the on/off and home button i think im going to try that.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
Dividizzl

Cant get it to reset...
Old 05-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
For reset try this: HOLD the power button on for 10-15 seconds. That makes sure it is in the OFF state. PRESS AND HOLD the home button. Turn the reader ON the way you normally would (DON'T hold the power button on).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #6
Dividizzl

the processing content thing is sooo annoying
Old 05-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
Dividizzl

still nothing is there a way to reset through the kobo software that came with it? I might just take it into the chapters or indigo store and get them to see whats up or exchange the device this is so annoying. I had got the extra card to hold more books but at this point id be alright if i could get the thing to turn on properly so i can get to the main screen where i can read books. I could just keep switching books off when ive read them i guess. I just cant get past the stupid language selector screen... soo annoying i dont know why this is happening all of a sudden. Ive even tried taking the card out and it still does this so i dont know if it has to do with that or not...
Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
kmaree0205
kmaree0205 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
I have been having the same problem for a day now. I fixed it for a bit and then it told me to plug it into the computer to set it up, which I thought was really good. then I plugged it in and opened kobo on my desktop. My kobo then froze and I reset it and is now at the set language page... Did you do an update before all of this? because a lot of people (even my mums) kobos have been freezing because of the update 1.9.14... What did you end up doing?
kmaree0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Plug it in and leave it plugged in for a couple of hours, or overnight.

Hold down the HOME button and keep it held down while inserting a paperclip into the the paperclip reset hole.

If this doesn't work, pull and hold the power button for 20 seconds to make sure it's off (the screen may give no indication). Repeat the reset process.

And of course if this doesn't work, call Kobo customer service. Don't bother emailing, in my opinion; email responses from first-line support tend to be cut 'n' paste gobbledygook.

Last edited by meeera; 10-27-2012 at 05:28 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:27 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaree0205 View Post
... Did you do an update before all of this? because a lot of people (even my mums) kobos have been freezing because of the update 1.9.14... What did you end up doing?
1.9.14's very old now. The current software is 2.1.5.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
kmaree0205

I have tried all of that... The software 1.9.14 is what I got?? I live in AUS so that may explain it?! I really dont know, I am so over it and I just want to read my books... I have recently tried a soft reset but now I am stuck on the page with the smiley face and 'dancing' squares except it has stopped mid dance and wont turn off or on or change and is really starting to bug me :/ it wont let me turn it off or reset or anything!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 AM   #12
kmaree0205

I have just done a full reset after powering it off (screen showed no indication) and is now on the restore page... hopefully all goes well will keep you posted
Old 10-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #13
kmaree0205

and... its back at the dancing squares page all frozen and stupid :/
Old 10-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #14
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
How many books are on your SD card?

If you try to load a poorly formatted book the reader will quit processing books into it's database. This could be your problem. When loading boos from questionable sources only load 10, 20, 100 what your comfortable with removing then loading one at a time to find problem book. Some more savvy can look at data base to find last book loaded which the book causing reader to stop working.

How did you update your reader's firmware to 1.9.14? Only update with software update that loads during sync with Kobo servers. For Readers bought in Australia it is 2 step precess first to 1.9.14 then another sync to upload and install 2.1.5 Version 2.1.5 is much better and trouble free for me.

Are you using book shelves? How many shelves? How many books on each shelf? How many books on shelves total?
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Dividizzl's experience shows that you should be wary when acquiring books from dodgy sources. I think that the mass loading of questionable epubs is just asking for problems. The poor Kobo no doubt has a bad case of indigestion!
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote