Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
The advantages of Kindle Unlimited to conventional marketing?

I'm a subscriber to Kindle Unlimited. which I like very much for finding access to new, to me at least, authors (the Science fiction & fantasy areas have much to offer, I think).

However, it seems some established authors avoid something like that completely, some seem to be offering some access to some of their stuff that way, and others seem to jump in with both feet!

But can some authors with publishing experience discuss the advantages/disadvantages? Is it good for new authors? Is the compensation fair? and is the compensation adequate considering the work involved? Does the type of book matter? I don't see that many technical books like photography books in the mix.

Should a new author just try to market his/her ebook the conventional way? Is trying to find a conventional 'old school' publisher more desirable? Does publishing one way limit the author's options and access to the other ways later? The publishing industry seems pretty fragmented right now to an outsider.

I'd appreciate any insight from a producers POV rather than a consumer's POV.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 09-18-2016 at 12:02 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Well now I am no author but I can tell you why one author doesn't do Kindle Unlimited.
HM Ward was offered the chance to put her books in KU on a trial basis.
This was under the old pay system. Both her and Amazon took a bath.
Two problems came up. She got tons and tons of borrows but no one was buying her books. Amazon got tons of new subscribers using their free month.
I think in 30 days total the loss was around $1 million.

So for some authors, it doesn't make sense.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh and the authors in Kindle Unlimited have a 90 day contract where they have to be only with Amazon.

Now since the pay scale changed I know many new authors that are making money through KU.
It also depends on the genre.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The reports I have seen from Indie Authors--Konrath, Howey, and others--is that they see it as both a promo tool and a revenue source, a distinct and separate market, much like magazines. It pays less that discrete sales, like magazines, but it raises visibility. Other promo tools ike Bookbub cost money.
Other authors see it as an alternative to permafree.
One author reported he had a short story he had planned to permafree to promote his series but decided to put it into KU. He got decent payout and a boost on the sales side.
Just anecdotal reports but they dovetail with the consumer side stories.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The reports I have seen from Indie Authors--Konrath, Howey, and others--is that they see it as both a promo tool and a revenue source, a distinct and separate market, much like magazines. It pays less that discrete sales, like magazines, but it raises visibility. Other promo tools ike Bookbub cost money.
Other authors see it as an alternative to permafree.
One author reported he had a short story he had planned to permafree to promote his series but decided to put it into KU. He got decent payout and a boost on the sales side.
Just anecdotal reports but they dovetail with the consumer side stories.
Hmmmm. Great examples, just one little detail. Amazon courted them.

Now if Glen is asking about newer authors I know many that use it and make money.
I think in one month alone at least 5 authors I know all made superstar bonuses.
That is authors I know and talk too, not authors I just read about.

If the OP is thinking about it, I would highly recommend he try it for 90 days, provided he actually has a book and not a 10 page pamphlet.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 09-19-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Taking out an n that didn't belong.
Advert
Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Hmmmm. Great examples, just one little detail. Amazon courted them.

Now if Glenn is asking about newer authors I know many that use it and make money.
I think in one month alone at least 5 authors I know all made superstar bonuses.
That is authors I know and talk too, not authors I just read about.

If the OP is thinking about it, I would highly recommend he try it for 90 days, provided he actually has a book and not a 10 page pamphlet.
Thanks but it's Glen with one 'n'. Damn you Glenn Ford!

I've taken on a subject for my Photography blog ( Sample Here), now that I've gotten into it doesn't really lend itself to the sort of serialization that blogging normally requires. I really want to fully explore the subject, so I am looking into the economic feasibility of producing a book.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 09-19-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Let me fix my post.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Let me fix my post.
Ahhh! Thanks! I feel so much better!
Old 09-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post

I've taken on a subject for my Photography blog ( Sample Here), now that I've gotten into it doesn't really lend itself to the sort of serialization that blogging normally requires. I really want to fully explore the subject, so I am looking into the economic feasibility of producing a book.
First thought: do it. What's to lose? Digital first, POD later.

Second thought: if it has a fair amount of imagery (and bulk) don't be afraid to price high. Non-fiction pricing is distinct from genre.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:48 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
First thought: do it. What's to lose? Digital first, POD later.

Second thought: if it has a fair amount of imagery (and bulk) don't be afraid to price high. Non-fiction pricing is distinct from genre.
You can do a POD. You just can't publish the digital edition elsewhere.

Heck yea, price what you think you can get. Double check the fine print but I am thinking the KU books don't have a delivery free. I may be wrong there.
Plus you get a choice of 5 free days or a countdown deal.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You can do a POD. You just can't publish the digital edition elsewhere.

Heck yea, price what you think you can get. Double check the fine print but I am thinking the KU books don't have a delivery free. I may be wrong there.
Plus you get a choice of 5 free days or a countdown deal.
No, the delivery fee is for the KDP side.
For image-heavy books (multi megabytes) it can eat away at the sales revenue.

In the best of all worlds the KDP audience will lead to both digital and print sales and not just page-read payouts.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
No, the delivery fee is for the KDP side.
For image-heavy books (multi megabytes) it can eat away at the sales revenue.

In the best of all worlds the KDP audience will lead to both digital and print sales and not just page-read payouts.
I know the delivery only applies if you choose the 70% royalty. That is why many children's authors pick the 35%. They actually make more money.
Now you don't have a choice from .001 to 2.98 or above 9.99.
Those are automatic 35%. Between 2.99 and 9.99 you can choose either.

Once again read the fine print because I know choosing Select offers certain perks.

And it would be a help if the OP aka Glen would tell us his genre and are his books heavily illustrated.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Oh and I am not a subscriber to Kindle Unlimited but I do watch for sales.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

After looking over Glen's blog, I am going to change my recommendation slightly.
Yes, I recommend you write your book.
Yes, I recommend you put it on Amazon.
Yes, I recommend at least $7.99 as a price point but do the 35% royalty.
No, I do not recommend select.
I also recommend that you promote it here in the self-promotion forum.

PS: That will be $50. Payable when you make your first million USD.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
I know the delivery only applies if you choose the 70% royalty. That is why many children's authors pick the 35%. They actually make more money.
Now you don't have a choice from .001 to 2.98 or above 9.99.
Those are automatic 35%. Between 2.99 and 9.99 you can choose either.

Once again read the fine print because I know choosing Select offers certain perks.

And it would be a help if the OP aka Glen would tell us his genre and are his books heavily illustrated.
It appears that it would be a photos technology book built around something OTHER than Photoshop. It would likely have with many photos and illustrations.