Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #46
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you think using the reviews for things other then valid reviews is a good idea, then think again. It's wrong to give a book 1 star and/or a bad review just because you don't live in the US and cannot buy it.

Why is it wrong? If it is an American only product what happens to it has no importance whatsoever.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #47
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Hardly of the same magnitude, are they? 'Can't get book at all' versus maybe checking somewhere else for info. Amazon is full of shills and sockpuppets etc. and political or religious axegrinders anyway, so why would you believe anything you see there at first glance, to start with?
Let's be clear: we can get the book. We just can't get it exactly how we want it.

I like listening to audiobooks. Should I give books one star whenever they aren't released in that format? What if the book isn't released in my language? What if I want the paperback version when only the hardcover is available? One star for every book!

If the intent of this campaign is to hurt the sales of the books, you know perfectly well you are misleading people. It is no justification to say people who just look at the ratings are dumb or lazy and so get what they deserve. I have found Amazon's aggregate ratings to be a useful way of deciding between books and it disturbs me that this sort of angry internet mob behaviour can disrupt a functioning system.

If the book isn't available as an ebook, don't buy it. You have cost the publisher and author one sale. If that is not enough, blog or twitter about your disgust. It is wrong to mislead other readers into not buying books by vandalising Amazon's rating system for selfish ends.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #48
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Quote:
If you think using the reviews for things other then valid reviews is a good idea, then think again. It's wrong to give a book 1 star and/or a bad review just because you don't live in the US and cannot buy it.
True, it should be possible to give it 0 stars.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #49
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, 0 would be more appropriate!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #50
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieClarken View Post
Let's be clear: we can get the book. We just can't get it exactly how we want it.

I like listening to audiobooks. Should I give books one star whenever they aren't released in that format? What if the book isn't released in my language? What if I want the paperback version when only the hardcover is available? One star for every book!

-- If you want, sure. You do of course have to take into account that audiobooks of course are much more expensive and an additional lengthy process compared to producing an ebook. Making an ebook THAT IS ALREADY AVAILABLE be purchasable is not a resource issue.

If the intent of this campaign is to hurt the sales of the books, you know perfectly well you are misleading people. It is no justification to say people who just look at the ratings are dumb or lazy and so get what they deserve. I have found Amazon's aggregate ratings to be a useful way of deciding between books and it disturbs me that this sort of angry internet mob behaviour can disrupt a functioning system.

-- Too bad. If you dislike protest that much, you don't have much choice except to move to another planet. Amazon themselves have disrupted a few functioning systems. If you believe any one source of information without reservation or checking, as has been pointed out, you are dumb. Any librarian will tell you this.

If the book isn't available as an ebook, don't buy it. You have cost the publisher and author one sale. If that is not enough, blog or twitter about your disgust. It is wrong to mislead other readers into not buying books by vandalising Amazon's rating system for selfish ends.
-- It is much better to express your disgust in a higher profile venue where it will be noticed as far as that goes.

Selfish ends? Amazon is about making money. The whole thing is selfish to start with. So is book publishing or retailing. That's a ludicrous argument.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #51
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
It's dog eat dog in the ebook world
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #52
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
The people giving the 1 star reviews have clearly not been buying the book, and as several of them mentioned in their reviews they will not be when it does come out as an ebook either as due to the nature of the book it won't be worth th money by that stage.

If they just didn't buy the book and left it at that then things stay the same and the publisher just wonders why sales were a little bit off from expected. By making good use of the available reviewing system though it is possible to make a bigger statement to the publisher as to why they have disgruntled potential customers and at the same time make a bigger dent in the sales of their product such that they changed the release schedule for the next book.

Without using that one star review systems as they have then the initial blog post about it would not have happened and then this thread here would not have happened etc. None of which are good publicity for the publisher, although they may actually have resulted in more people having heard of the book and buying it despite the lack of ebook availability.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #53
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful! We need more and more of this to push the publishers into the 20th century!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #54
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Lets all give the actual Kindle a one star review for Amazons failure to pressure the publishers to release the eBook in a timely manner.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #55
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Lets all give the actual Kindle a one star review for Amazons failure to pressure the publishers to release the eBook in a timely manner.
Actually, I think Amazon is pressing them. At least we don't know that they don't. An early ebook release, especially a Kindle special would be in their best interest.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #56
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Sounds reasonable to me, when it's being marketed with a deliberately restricted channel, and that channel affects a large number of books you want. It's an absolute judgement on the device's worth to me.

Ahh, the technophile vs tech-as-a-tool argument again. Well, it's clear which side I come down on
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #57
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I agree, it's sad that so many people have this "if I don't get things my way I'll ruin it for everyone else" mentality.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
True, it should be possible to give it 0 stars.
What you want to do is make a mockery of Amazon's rating system. You want to give false ratings to books you've never read. Sure the publishers are not playing fair, but that's no reason to screw up the ratings/give a bad review. Just let it go. All this does is make you seem childish.

"I can't have this so I'm going to do my best to make sure nobody will get this." That's just childish. Give it up and move on.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:30 AM   #59
spideog
Connoisseur
spideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enoughspideog will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
What you want to do is make a mockery of Amazon's rating system. You want to give false ratings to books you've never read. Sure the publishers are not playing fair, but that's no reason to screw up the ratings/give a bad review. Just let it go. All this does is make you seem childish.

"I can't have this so I'm going to do my best to make sure nobody will get this." That's just childish. Give it up and move on.
It is not preventing anybody else from buying the book.

It is merely an additional way of trying to get the publishers notice and tell them that customers do not agree with their methods. Amazon provide a method for people to air their views about products that they sell, people are just making use of that. Amazon being the most public bookseller is clearly a very good platform for people to use for letting publishers know their feelings.
spideog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's just being silly and childish and not doing anyone any good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote