Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Bl4ckVoid
Bl4ckVoid began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Sony T1 replacement

It is tiem to replace my PRS-T1 because it has become very unstable. Every 3rd use and it hang ups for a very long time and becomes unusable. Double page turns also very annoying.

Looking to buy something with the following features:
6 to 7 inch Carta screen
backlight
long battery life
very stable reader software and operating system
physical page turn buttons
quick, easy to access and easy to use dictionary
search function within the book (highlight word then easily search occurences in the book)
1024x768 res or better
epub support

price around 100 EUR
Bl4ckVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I went from a T1 to a Kobo Aura H2O and I would not go back to Sony. The H2O is so much better than the T1. I cannot say what the price is in euros, but whatever it is, it's worth it. The only hing you have to give up for the H2O is page turn buttons. Yes, you can search, but I've never tried searching from a highlighted word.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-19-2016 at 11:50 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I know there's many Android-based e-readers in Europe that fit all your specifications, but I don't have first hand experience with them.

Check out the Icarus Illumina HD. From the reviews I've seen, the reading experience isn't great, but it runs Android, so you can install other, better reading apps.

If you could live without page turn buttons (I miss them myself, but I get by) there are many nice Kobo readers that fit the rest of your needs. (search function within the book, highlight word then easily search occurences in the book. I've never tried this, so I'm not sure how good Kobo is at it.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Look at Pocketbook, Onyx Book, Bookeen or android devices. All these manufacturers/OS have a forum here so you can see what people think and the issues they have. The readers they produce also tend to have page turn buttons.

Just remember that if you're using the backlight that the battery will not last as long.

I moved from Sony to Pocketbook and I've been very happy.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
Is there any e-ink readers with Google Play Books so I can load my own books and sync everywhere?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl4ckVoid View Post
It is tiem to replace my PRS-T1 because it has become very unstable. Every 3rd use and it hang ups for a very long time and becomes unusable. Double page turns also very annoying.

Looking to buy something with the following features:
6 to 7 inch Carta screen
backlight
long battery life
very stable reader software and operating system
physical page turn buttons
quick, easy to access and easy to use dictionary
search function within the book (highlight word then easily search occurences in the book)
1024x768 res or better
epub support

price around 100 EUR
I think the Kobo is the only mainstream one, but it has no buttons. I've tried them but I think Sony are better If you are in the USA there is the Nook too which you can try in B&N. But no page turn buttons.

Otherwise get an Onyx or Boyue. They have everything you want. If you get one, I recommend the aireader app as the best ebook reader app.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
Look at Pocketbook, Onyx Book, Bookeen or android devices. All these manufacturers/OS have a forum here so you can see what people think and the issues they have. The readers they produce also tend to have page turn buttons.

Just remember that if you're using the backlight that the battery will not last as long.

I moved from Sony to Pocketbook and I've been very happy.
if the OP is in the US, Bookeen cannot be bought as Bookeen do not sell to the US. Pocketbook & Onyx can tend to be expensive due to the exchange rate. Also, don't rely on the Pocketbook US site.

Have a look on Amazon and see if the device you want is there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by komugi View Post
Is there any e-ink readers with Google Play Books so I can load my own books and sync everywhere?
If you get an e-ink device that runs Android, that should let you install Google Play Books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote