Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #271
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
The Audible editions of ALL the Liaden Universe novels by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller are out and available. I've downloaded 11 of them - the Before books, the Regencies, and the Agent of Change sequence. When I have enough credits, I'll download the Theo Wately sequence, but since I just finished a re-read of that entire sequence to prep for the released version of Dragon Ship, they can wait. Plus I'll have more than enough to listen to for a while.

The four sequences can be read essentially on their own, though you could argue for starting with either the Agent of Change sequence or the Before sequence. (Publishing order starts with the Agent of Change books, chronological order with the Before books.) Each sequence is read by a different reader. I've started with Crystal Soldier, the first in the Before sequence. This sequence is read by Kevin T. Collins, and I'm enjoying his reading very much. Still early, so not real sure how I'll like his character variations, since the beginning of Crystal Soldier is a stream of consciousness by M. Jela, the Crystal Soldier and thus no character variation. But so far so good.

If you are looking for a new series to try, and enjoy very well written SF, I highly recommend the entire Liaden Universe of 15 novels. You can get a taste of each of the readers and sequences by downloading the FREE one hour previews of each of the four story arcs.

Last edited by CRussel; 09-04-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added link to Liaden page on Audible
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #272
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
I have that book sitting on my shelf halfway read. I've enjoyed what I've read so far, how was the narration?
It was realistic. I will keep quite about other things not to spoil your experience.

Sorry for late reply, I don't get notifications about quoted texts, you know.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #273
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Moby Dick was made to be read aloud and Frank Muller was born to read it.

Listening to the audiobook, you begin to think of the novel as an epic poem.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #274
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've started with Crystal Soldier, the first in the Before sequence. This sequence is read by Kevin T. Collins, and I'm enjoying his reading very much. Still early, so not real sure how I'll like his character variations, since the beginning of Crystal Soldier is a stream of consciousness by M. Jela, the Crystal Soldier and thus no character variation. But so far so good.

If you are looking for a new series to try, and enjoy very well written SF, I highly recommend the entire Liaden Universe of 15 novels. You can get a taste of each of the readers and sequences by downloading the FREE one hour previews of each of the four story arcs.
Finished Crystal Soldier and starting on Crystal Dragon. The start of this book is unnerving - it is so completely different that you're sure it's from some other book entirely. But once you're past those first chapters, it all comes back together.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 AM   #275
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just finished Saltation by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller and starting Ghost Ship by same.

By the way if you're a fan of classics head over to the deals area. Amazon/Audible are doing a promo for the new Whispersync Voice where they are offering 27(?) audiobooks free right now...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190244

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #276
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Moby Dick was made to be read aloud and Frank Muller was born to read it.

Listening to the audiobook, you begin to think of the novel as an epic poem.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been reluctant to tackle Moby Dick, but I'll give this a go, since it's one of the Audible freebies to introduce Amazon's Whispersync for Voice.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #277
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Just finished Saltation by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller and starting Ghost Ship by same.

By the way if you're a fan of classics head over to the deals area. Amazon/Audible are doing a promo for the new Whispersync Voice where they are offering 27(?) audiobooks free right now...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190244
Sigh. Unfortunately, the free Audible book deal requires a linked Amazon account. And we have three Audible accounts but only a single Amazon Kindle account.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #278
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Finished Crystal Soldier and starting on Crystal Dragon. The start of this book is unnerving - it is so completely different that you're sure it's from some other book entirely. But once you're past those first chapters, it all comes back together.
Finished Crystal Dragon. Moving right on to Balance of Trade, still in that same sequence so the same reader -- Kevin T. Collins.

My final take on Crystal Dragon is 4 out of 5, the lowest I've ever given a Lee & Miller book. I'm glad I read it, the reader is excellent, and the book fills in some critical pieces of the back story for the whole rest of the Liaden Universe. But I found the Dramlyz story intertwined with the main story line to be confusing and frankly not very interesting.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #279
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Since I only had 3 credits available from Audible, I picked up the first three Agent of Change sequence audio books in the Liaden series. Probably my favorites of the whole series. I've read them twice and about 1/2 way though the audio Agent of Change. Nicely done. Really enjoying listening.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #280
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Finished listening to To Say Nothing of the Dog, or How we found the Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis, narrated by Steven Crossley. This is the comedy among her time travel books, modeled after Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.

Ned Henry is sent to the Victorian age to recover from time-lag and while he is there, correct a small inconsistency that occurred because someone brought a cat back from the past, which should of course have been impossible, but... He is also supposed to look for an artefact from Coventry Cathedral called the Bishop's bird stump, because Lady Schrapnell is having the cathedral rebuilt and wants every detail to be just right.

A delightful read, a great narrator - highly recommended.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #281
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Sharon Lee & Steve Miller - Liaden Universe

Quote:
Finished Crystal Dragon. Moving right on to Balance of Trade, still in that same sequence so the same reader -- Kevin T. Collins.
Finished Balance of Trade. Full 5 out of 5, and a very useful set of background to all that follows. The reading by Kevin T. Collins continues to be excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed this book, finding excuses to listen to it when I should have been doing other things.

Next up, Local Custom, the start of the "Space Regencies" sequence. These books are read by Bernadette Dunne, whom I've known for an excellent reader these many years. I've only had time to listen to the first few minutes of Local Custom, but I can tell already that Ms. Dunne has out-dunne herself. Oh, goodie, and I have 3 books in this sequence to enjoy!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #282
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Just finished another of the Bryant and May series by Christopher Fowler. The two detectives work for the "peculiar crimes" unit, the books are great mysteries and also very funny. The narration is excellent too.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #283
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Just finished Local Custom, by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, read by Bernadette Dunne. This is a classic Heyer-esque romance set in the early days of the Liaden Universe. And positively delightful. Ms. Dunne does her usual superb job of reading. 5 out of 5.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #284
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Currently listening to I Dare by Sharron Lee and Steve Miller, read by Andy Caploe, the last book in the "Agent of Change sequence". These are the first books I've listened to by this narrator and he's done a very good job IMO. Now that I'm out the the credits I had saved up I'll have to listen to something non-Liaden next.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #285
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Trying to decide. Really want to re-listen to Ringworld. Intrigued by free Mody Dick and White Fang I recently aquired for free.

Loved Call of Wild earlier this summer.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations