Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, I'm afraid not. That would be rather a lot of work to support. As long as your links have the author name in the associated text, you should be able to migrate them easily, just use ?search=author name
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Author names are not unique, especially in Arabic speaking countries, Korea etc, and then there's the pseudonym 'problem', e.g. Abu Mazin and Mahmoud Abbas, and I have three different Jonathan Swifts, one of whom is still alive (blog writer).

Could I run the existing server from a 2.99 portable install? It does everything I want and I can't recall seeing any reports of bugs in the server - IMO it's code complete

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-01-2016 at 06:32 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Authors with the exact same name are given the exact same id (the authors table has a unique constraint on the authors column). So there is no difference between the two URL schemes.

You can of course run the old server if you like. As long as there are no db structural changes (which is very rare) there should be no problems. But I would be extremely surprised if you will want to. Eventually the new server will gain features like being able to edit metadata/run conversions/etc. from withtin the server, and connect the calibre GUI to a running server, so that you can use the full power of the main calibre insterface to work ona remote server, etc.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #19
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Authors with the exact same name are given the exact same id (the authors table has a unique constraint on the authors column). So there is no difference between the two URL schemes.
I don't allow them, I change the name in calibre to something like 'Jonathan Swift @ Punch 1864' and 'Jonathan Swift @ Off the Record blog'.

Quote:
You can of course run the old server if you like. As long as there are no db structural changes (which is very rare) there should be no problems.
That's what I was hoping you'd say

Quote:
But I would be extremely surprised if you will want to. Eventually the new server will gain features like being able to edit metadata/run conversions/etc. from withtin the server, and connect the calibre GUI to a running server, so that you can use the full power of the main calibre insterface to work ona remote server, etc.
When a 'Book' is loaded into a 'served' library it's complete wrt to metadata & conversion etc, the only thing that changes from then on is if & when I add a transcript for video and audio podcasts. Changes to metadata are rare, and I haven't added new columns to those libraries for ages.

The only GUI function I sometimes wish for in the server is Save to Disk.

I also wish I could Mark a book when I add new format to an existing book - sometimes I forget to do it, which means I don't to a Save to Disk (into my mailTo folders). Happened twice last week

BR
Old 10-02-2016, 04:05 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I don't allow them, I change the name in calibre to something like 'Jonathan Swift @ Punch 1864' and 'Jonathan Swift @ Off the Record blog'.
In which case the new URL scheme will work perfectly fine for them.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:01 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Kovid - lets leave it, when version 3.0 comes out I will look at it then.

BR
Old 11-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #22
jvorzimmer
Enthusiast
jvorzimmer began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
However, you can test the main feature of 3.0 -- the new content server using a normal calibre install, by running

calibre-debug.exe --new-server -- /path/to/some/calibre/library/folder
The book covers are huge and makes scrolling slow. I love the grid layout, but you should make the covers somewhere in size between what they are now in the list layout and the size you have it currently, unless, of course, it's customizable.
jvorzimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

There will be multiple customizable layouts. The cover size in the grid layout is controlled by the window size. Make your window smaller and they will automatically scale down. I doubt very much that the current size affects scroll speed. At least I can see no appreciable scroll lag on either my desktop or my two year old phone. On my phone, in portrait orientation two covers fit per row and a single fast flick scrolls the entire set of 50 covers in about a second, too fast for the eye to follow.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #24
bopuc
livin' with ebooks
bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.bopuc is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Location: Berlin (DE), winters in Aomori (JP), from Montréal (CA)
Device: Libra2, KOA
Ohhh looking forward to seeing this.
I've been slowly hacking together my own web view (based on my calibre DB and Library) which explores some UX beyond just listing stuff in grids.

http://boris.libra.re/library/

Cover sizes are roughly related to page counts (so I can see at a glance the "size" of the books, like when I glance at my physical book shelf). Also default to Read State and Date Added groupings cause those are more meaningful to me—related to my memory and experience—than any type of classification.

In any case, just sharing… and again, looking forward to seeing if what 3.0 offers is deeply modifiable or if I have to keep building my own

(Also, congrats on your recent 10 year anniversary! Amazing!
bopuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:18 AM   #25
jvorzimmer
Enthusiast
jvorzimmer began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bopuc View Post
Ohhh looking forward to seeing this.
I've been slowly hacking together my own web view (based on my calibre DB and Library) which explores some UX beyond just listing stuff in grids.

http://boris.libra.re/library/

Cover sizes are roughly related to page counts (so I can see at a glance the "size" of the books, like when I glance at my physical book shelf). Also default to Read State and Date Added groupings cause those are more meaningful to me—related to my memory and experience—than any type of classification.
This is impressive. I thought I had done a lot of customization, but nothing like this. You did all this with the current version? I don't seen any way to download, but you might have that disabled for this demo.
jvorzimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:24 PM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is an interesting way of (size) presentation.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote