Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Question Thumbnails of covers don't match actual books

Got a weird one here.

In Calibre's list view, I have a book by Harry Turtledove, but the thumbnail in the bottom left part of the screen shows a book by Stephen Baxter.

Despite changing the cover multiple times, this issue does not go away. Anybody know how to fix?

See attached screen shot for what I'm talking about. This has happened to several of my books for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.png
Views:	304
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	48514  
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
Got a weird one here.

In Calibre's list view, I have a book by Harry Turtledove, but the thumbnail in the bottom left part of the screen shows a book by Stephen Baxter.

Despite changing the cover multiple times, this issue does not go away. Anybody know how to fix?

See attached screen shot for what I'm talking about. This has happened to several of my books for some reason.
I'd start by shutting Calibre down, and restarting it. (You may want to reboot to make sure it's totally shut down). If that doesn't help, run the "Check database integrity" button in Preferences|Advanced.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I'd start by shutting Calibre down, and restarting it. (You may want to reboot to make sure it's totally shut down). If that doesn't help, run the "Check database integrity" button in Preferences|Advanced.
Tried both of those. Still doing the same. Hmm...

I did notice that if I manually click on the Turtledove book, then the correct thumbnail appears, but if then navigate down the list and back up with the keyboard, it swaps it again with the Stephen Baxter thumbnail.

This doesn't affect anything really that I can see. If I open the book the proper cover is there, as well as is transferring to my sony 900.

oh well.. I'll mess with it some more.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I once experienced the same problem following the merging of a partial Calibre library from another system to my current Calibre library. The display of the wrong covers was due to the duplication of the numbers assigned to the titles in the library folder hierarchy. After I eliminated the number duplication problem, all the covers matched the titles.

Have a look at your \Library\author\titles folders and see if the selected book (Turtledove) and the book whose cover art appears instead (Steven Baxter) have the same number.

Last edited by Skydog; 03-21-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
I once experienced the same problem following the merging of a partial Calibre library from another system to my current Calibre library. The display of the wrong covers was due to the duplication of the numbers assigned to the titles in the library folder hierarchy. After I eliminated the number duplication problem, all the covers matched the titles.

Have a look at your \Library\author\titles folders and see if the selected book (Turtledove) and the book whose cover art appears instead (Steven Baxter) have the same number.
Yep, both folders have the number 39.

I also noticed a lot of my books have two folders with the same names only with different numbers.
I did have to reinstall/mess with the installation a couple of times. I guess that is the problem.

uh oh...

This sounds like work... lol

Last edited by tulsa; 03-21-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: more info
Advert
Old 03-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I also noticed a lot of my books have two folders with the same names only with different numbers.
I did have to reinstall/mess with the installation a couple of times. I guess that is the problem.

uh oh...

First step
Open preferences
Select Advanced
click "Check database integrity"

Save any errors : Copy to clipboard, then paste them into a new text file and save. These are the problems.

No problems, then you may have duplicates (very slight spelling differences)

You can sort the main list by clicking the column label: eg Authors or Title
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

uh oh...

Yes, I thought it might be the culprit.

When I found the folders containing the same number, I "re-added" the book and its associated formats in Calibre, then deleted that same title (that contained the duplicate number).

Last edited by Skydog; 03-21-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
First step
Open preferences
Select Advanced
click "Check database integrity"

Save any errors : Copy to clipboard, then paste them into a new text file and save. These are the problems.

No problems, then you may have duplicates (very slight spelling differences)

You can sort the main list by clicking the column label: eg Authors or Title
There were no database errors, but as mentioned there are some folders with same name but different numbers.

Quote:
Yes, I thought it might be the culprit.

When I found the folders containing the same number, I "re-added" the book and its associated formats in Calibre, then deleted that same title (that contained the duplicate number).
Ok, so what I need to do is haul all my epubs into a temporary folder and then reimport them?
Old 03-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
Skydog
Wizard

Well, it depends on how many duplicate (numbers) you actually have. If you think you have many, perhaps you should move the contents of your \Library and start with a new database. Then, just "add" your books while pointing to your relocated \Library and be sure to add all formats, including those that have been converted from the original.

I don't know of an easier way to do it.

Quote:
There were no database errors, but as mentioned there are some folders with same name but different numbers.
Note: The problem is not with folders containing the same name but different numbers - those are just duplicates that can be removed. The problem is with the folders you have with different titles that contain the same number.

Last edited by Skydog; 03-21-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Do you happen to dual boot and run Calibre against the same db from either?

Windows is case insensitive.
Linux is not, renaming a windows created book entry can cause weird stuff to happen with the names.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
tulsa
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do you happen to dual boot and run Calibre against the same db from either?

Windows is case insensitive.
Linux is not, renaming a windows created book entry can cause weird stuff to happen with the names.
No dual booting here. I had to reinstall calibre a while back and I think they were two different versions. The first was the most current version for Linux on the Calibre website. The second (current) was installed through Synaptic package manager, so I wouldn't have so many problems uninstalling.

I'll have to come back to this issue later, though. My prs 900 is all messed up. Now it thinks every folder is read-only... sigh.. can't delete anything... lol..
oh the joys...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
tulsa
Zealot

got it fixed

Well, that took about two days.

Here's how I fixed it.

I started at the top of my book list and went down it one by one. When I found a book that had an incorrect Cover, I did the following.

1- Note name of book that is shown on incorrect cover

2 While book is selected, hit "o" to open the containing folder. This gets you the number you need.

3- Navigate to book noted in 1
4- There should be two folders containing that book. Deleted the one with the number found in 2

I repeated for every book in my collection and now all the covers are correct.

whew... !

Tags
cover, mismatch, thumbnails