Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Owlyce
Owlyce began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Used PRS-600 Where to start...

I just purchased a used Sony PRS-600 on Craigslist. It came loaded with about 15 books that I definitely want to keep. I have not installed any software on my computer yet, but I have several questions before I do.
1. Will the books be deleted when I install the Sony software and create my own account? If so can I save them somewhere else first and keep them?
2. I've read some not so great comments about the Sony software, should I just go with Calibre and forget about the Sony stuff?

3. What else should I know offhand?
4. Is there a night reading mode? IE the text color and backgound are switched where text is white and the background is black?

I would love to hear your suggestions!

Thanks!
Owlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
1) It depends on where the books are from. If they have DRM, then when you authorize the device to YOUR account, you will not be able to read them,

2) I have used the Sony software for a year, and all trying out Calibre. Both work and both have some issues.

3) Remember to turn the device ON before connecting it to the computer

4) No.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Congrats on your new ereader!

1. When you connect the reader via USB, it will show up like a disk drive in My Computer on a PC (Finder window on a Mac). Double-click through the folders to database > media > books and you will find the books there. You can drag-and-drop or copy the files from the reader to your hard-drive to make a backup copy. But, like Pinecone said, if they have DRM, then they won't work when you authorize the device to your Adobe & Sony account info.

2. I like the Sony Reader Library. I use it as my primary software to transfer books. Don't be scared off by other opinions. The performance varies depending on your computer hardware and operating system. It doesn't hurt to at least try it out and see how it works for you. Calibre is good too and at least you know it's another option if you don't like the Reader Library.

3. Along the lines of what Pinecone said, also don't forget to "eject" the reader before you disconnect the USB cable. Also I recommend reading through the sticky threads at the top of the Sony Reader forum. For example the sticky threads help you with other sources for ebooks besides the Sony Store and how to use library books. I would read through the PRS-600 User's Guide too. You can find it at this link.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod....pl?mdl=PRS600

4. Pinecone already answered this one.

Good luck and happy reading! I hope you enjoy your new purchase.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote