Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Blizz
Blizz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Want to buy 'local' (Australia)which one fits my requirements best?

Hi all,

after reading and researching for a number of weeks now, I am still undecided which reader suits me best.... So I am after some opinions, please

What I (think I) want:
- not locked into a store
- good array of supported formats
- 6"
- expandable memory
- easy, comfortable and quiet to use
- stable software (I have no real interest in geeking it up!)
- no keyboard on reader
- WiFi optional
- good contrast on screen, colour not required

I have a slight preference to purchase through an Australian re-seller.

I read fast and I read as much as work and family allow, 1-3 books a week on average. I will occasionally read other publications but I don't expect to use it often for papers / magazines. I most often read on the bus/train or at home.

I have ruled out the Kobo (too flimsy), iRiver Story (keyboard) and the cheaper variaties popping up at electronics stores in Australia at the moment. Locally that leaves the ECOreader and the BeBook and a few others I don't know too much about.

I would probably already have bought the BeBook Neo if it wasn't for the pricetag... $549 is an amount that in itself I am willing to pay but it seems expensive in comparison to others - is it worth it?

Your opinions / advice are very welcome!

Thanks,

Blizz
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
You would be far better off not buying locally if you do not want to pay through the nose and do not want to buy the Kobo (which I do not consider flimsy).

Paying AU$549 for an ereader by buying locally is not the most economical way forward.

So where does that leave you? You would be best served to purchase from an overseas seller, such as;

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/E-...6/N/4289948202

Such companies will post out to Australia with no issues. You will save a good deal of your hard earned dollars and even after often expensive postage costs will come out far ahead of the price you will pay through a re-seller here in Australia.

Also, try eBay. I got my Sony PRS-300 pocket reader through a Sony reseller and paid less than AU$200 delivered. With the recent price drops, a sony PRS-900 would still be a far cheaper option than buying a BeBook Neo locally.

Formats are not an issue once you install Calibre, which will quite happily convert non DRM'ed ebooks to any format for your reader to use.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
My thoughts

Hi Blizz, et al,

like Sabredog, I have no qualms about buying from overseas, and I have bought from bhphotovideo before without problems.

Pioneer computers is based in Oz, and they have what looks to be a rebadged Pocketbook 302 for AUD$499. You can save AUD$100 by buying from overseas, and this is not to be sneezed-at.

Officeworks has the Hanvon n526 for about AUD$400, and I had a quick play with this today, and it is reasonable (I'd rather have a PB 302), but again, buying locally brings a premium.

I wish you well in finding one, and because I have not made up my mind as yet, I'd love to hear how you fare.

Regards,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Blizz
Blizz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Points taken and you have convinced me to buy from overseas. Thanks

The difficulty is now that it opens up a new range of ereaders I can choose!

to be continued...
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I can recommend Astak for a reader. Their EZReader line are identical hardware to the Bebook Mini/One and Eco Reader line but are far cheaper and come with an international warranty. Just a price comparison for the 5" the Bebook mini is $389Aus without a cover, the Astak Pocket Pro (with a cover) is $244US delivered ($199 for the reader $45 for delivery), which works out just under $280Aus. They are about to release the new 6" which is meant to be priced about $219US (plus $45 freight). The thing about buying these readers is you can install the Astak/Jinke/LBook firmwares at your pleasure.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
DA Direct (an Australian owned company, based in Melbourne) is selling 6" ECO Readers with TTS (text to speech) capability, updated processors and (adjustable) 16 greyscale for A$299.00, including GST. Postage is approx A$15. Accessories included in price: cover, ANZ USB wall charger, earphones. Firmware updates are available via our server in Melb.

I believe this is cheaper than importing and you get local helpdesk and warranty support.

https://www.dadirect.com/books/ebookreader.asp

ECO Readers support Adobe DE ePub and PDF and you're not locked to a particular ebook store. www.readwithoutpaper.com is our companion store for ECO Readers.

I'm affiliated with DA Direct.

Last edited by cbell; 07-15-2010 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Added accessories
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizz View Post
What I (think I) want:
- not locked into a store
- good array of supported formats
- 6"
- expandable memory
- easy, comfortable and quiet to use
- stable software (I have no real interest in geeking it up!)
- no keyboard on reader
- WiFi optional
- good contrast on screen, colour not required
I would suggest to check PocketBook models.
PocketBook 301+ fits all your requirements if you don't need WiFi. And PocketBook 302 has Wi-Fi and a touch screen.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
DA Direct (an Australian owned company, based in Melbourne) is selling 6" ECO Readers with TTS (text to speech) capability, updated processors and (adjustable) 16 greyscale for A$299.00, including GST. Postage is approx A$15. Accessories included in price: cover, ANZ USB wall charger, earphones. Firmware updates are available via our server in Melb.

I believe this is cheaper than importing and you get local helpdesk and warranty support.

ECO Readers support Adobe DE ePub and PDF and you're not locked to a particular ebook store. www.readwithoutpaper.com is our companion store for ECO Readers.

Why does your webpage say that this only has 4 greyscales? Also, cannot see where it says that it has TTS (text to speech) capability?

Cheers,
TomC

Last edited by ThomasC; 07-15-2010 at 06:50 PM.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Why does your webpage say that this only has 4 greyscales?

Cheers,
TomC
It needs to be updated... we're working on it

All ECO Readers in DA Direct's Melbourne warehouse are the latest model (based on the HanLin V3+ with our firmware specs). They all have adjustable 16 greyscale.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:

Where does it say that it has TTS (text to speech) capability?

Also, had a look at your associated ebook store www.readwithoutpaper.com and found that most books were ~2x the price of what I pay from Amazon for my Kindle. Also, Amazon lets you download samples for free, before you buy.

Cheers,
TomC
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
cbell
Frenetic

I'm listening to the ECO Reader on my desk read an ebook to me now...

The ebooks in www.readwithoutpaper.com aren't Kindle-compatible. The only ebook store you can buy from is Amazon.

We're very keen to add more Australian content to our ebook store and we're talking with local publishers.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:

The ebooks in www.readwithoutpaper.com aren't Kindle-compatible. The only ebook store you can buy from is Amazon.

We're very keen to add more Australian content to our ebook store and we're talking with local publishers.
Not quite true, you can buy/load any .mobi/.prc files that aren't encrypted.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
cbell
Frenetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashira View Post
Not quite true, you can buy/load any .mobi/.prc files that aren't encrypted.
Yes, that's true, sorry.

Most ebooks purchased from ebook stores have DRM, but not all. I believe the only DRM supported by Kindles is Amazon's.

I don't know of any Australian ebook store selling popular ebooks without DRM.

Last edited by cbell; 07-15-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #14
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Yes, that's true, sorry.

Most ebooks purchased from ebook stores have DRM, but not all. I believe the only DRM supported by Kindles is Amazon's.

True.

Amazon's DRM format is AZW (MOBI based) and Topaz.

ereaders that display ePUB in the main use ADE as the DRM capsule. The exception is the Nook which uses Barnes and Noble's own DRM.

However there are a goodly number of ebook sellers that do not have ANY DRM or Geo restrictions on their ebook catalogue. Baen and Smashwords come to mind immediately.

Last edited by sabredog; 07-15-2010 at 10:47 PM.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #15
nashira
Addict
nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40nashira is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
True.

Amazon's DRM format is AZW (MOBI based) and Topaz.

ereaders that display ePUB in the main use ADE as the DRM capsule. The exception is the Nook which uses Barnes and Noble's own DRM.

However there are a goodly number of ebook sellers that do not have ANY DRM or Geo restrictions on their ebook catalogue. Baen and Smashwords come to mind immediately.
The nook can read Adobe Adept DRM, I believe, as B&N DRM is an off shoot of it. I think it can also read ereader files/drm.

But yes, there are more than a few without DRM etc.
nashira is offline   Reply With Quote