Not Yet, but Kindle has led me to research the iLiad/eink 5 12.20%
No, I bought a Kindle 10 24.39%
No, I bought something (sony etc) 7 17.07%
N/A 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
thetechnobear
Connoisseur
thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thetechnobear has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iliad, Kindle K3, iPad , iPhone, etc...
Did the Kindle prompt you to buy an iLiad?

When i saw Amazon were releasing the Kindle, it prompted me to look at e-ink and then subsequently buy an iLiad,
is this common?
has the Kindle kick started eink even for its competitors?
thetechnobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'll say yes. The rumors of the Kindle, "rekindled" my interest in an ebook reader. Using what can only be described as divinely inspired patience, I waited for it's actual release, did my research, and decided on the iLiad.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Well, I was on this topic about a year ago and came across the iLiad. At that time the price (650 Euros) seemed too high for me, and I didn't get one

When Amazon released its Kindle, I remembered the iLiad again, and because the price dropped to, ehm... 650 Euros I finally bought one

So my answer is yes
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:25 AM   #4
Lazycat
Enthusiast
Lazycat began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd Edition
my case is exactly the same with Thomas!
Lazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
No, I had my iLiad before the Kindle came out.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
iAmBeer
iAmBeer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Before I knew kindle, I didn't want to buy any dedicate e-book reader.
I usually read those e-books on my pocket pc which is very small display
and made me annoy sometimes.

After I saw amazon released their kindle, I though this is what I want.
I did research and I found that I really love iLiad more than kindle.
iAmBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
davethetemp
davethetemp began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Thumbs up

I'm with you.

Read about the Kindle, got excited about the idea of e-paper and decided I didn't want to wait for the Jinke (or risk poor tech support). Researching this website led me to the Iliad and I have really been pleased with my decsion to buy.
davethetemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Peppie
Peppie began at the beginning.

Device: iliad and Sony PRS-505
I saw the Kindle, didn't like the keyboard and bought the Sony PRS-505. Unfortunately the screen size is to small for PDF (main reason buying E-Ink) and zooming is limited. Now I'm more then happy with my Irex Iliad. Exactly what I needed.
Peppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
The only thing that stops me from buying an Iliad is the battery life/specialized charger. If it could use a generic USB charger (or battery pack), the battery life would be less critical. A specialized charger makes me want/need longer life.

The last time I traveled to visit my brother in Dallas (I live in Rochester), airport cancellations and delays stretched that trip out to 22 hours (!!! And according to MapQuest, I could have driven it in 20...but that's another story, heh). A lot of that time was spent without my iPod because the battery went dead. Now I carry a USB battery backup that takes AA batteries (bought it from Gomadic, very nice it is). I will never again be caught in such an unpleasant situation without my gadgetry.

The Gomadic backup also works for my Kindle (and my cellphone and Sony Reader, for that matter) but it would not work for an Iliad. If the next version if Iliad takes a standard USB charger, I'm there, checkbook in hand.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote