Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Questions on libprs500 "fetch news" function

I did a quick search on the site for libprs500 and didn't see anyone asking these questions. If there are already other threads addressing the following questions then... sorry.

What I really want to know is if anyone has created py files for other news sources that they would like to share. I'll be honest and say I can't really figure out how it all works and would love to add some other sources to my reader (specifically sites like Reuters and Christian Science Monitor). Of course, even better would be step-by-step instructions on creating my own py files. "Teach a man to fish..." and all that. I would be very appreciative for any help in this area.

The other question concerns the existing news sources. I downloaded the NY Times two days in a row and got same exact news stories on the second day. Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed and I relied on BBC News to fill me in on the day's goings-on. Anyone else have this issue? More still, anyone know how to fix it? It might be an issue with the site's rss feed, so maybe it's not fixable. But again, any help = much appreciated.

Thanks.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
I would love a guide too and would then of course share any I do with everyone.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
You should check this how-to :
https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/UserProfiles
(but I can't help furthermore as I don't seem to be able to create the py script I would like )
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Thanks FixB its a bit difficult one to follow that!

The first line "open a file" gets me stuck what type of file in what program etc???

A step by step 'proper' guide would be great.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
FixB
Groupie
FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FixB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS500
Well, the file is a simple text file : a python script.
So, as I do, you're bound to have difficulties if you don't know any python...
FixB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the advice and quick response, FixB. I actually checked that out before and that's how I knew what needed to be done in order to add news sources. But it is a bit confusing and even if I got the py file made, I wouldn't know what to do with it.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Unfortunately, fetching full RSS feeds cannot be automated as the HTML articles they link to often need some amount of pre-processing before being converted into LRF. Thus, you have to be comfortable programming in order to use custom RSS feeds.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #8
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
I wrote up a HOWTO and posted it to Kovid's libprs500 page
OK, I put up a quick and dirty and hopefully helpful HOWTO here:
https://libprs500.kovidgoyal.net/wiki/UserProfiles

Hope this helps.

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard

Cheers Dave i will have a play with that tonight.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:29 AM   #10
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter

Thanks! Unfortunately, I'm now deployed in the Middle East with the navy and the internet connection on this base blocks that site. :-(

Would anyone like to email me the guide?
mobileread (at) spidermatt(dot)cjb(dot)net
Old 12-07-2007, 04:17 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Would anyone like to email me the guide?
mobileread (at) spidermatt(dot)cjb(dot)net
On the way, hopefully.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote