Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
timjthomas
timjthomas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
% Complete

Is there a way on the Kindle to easily indicate / display those books that are completed, in progress, etc?

I have 50+ and as I complete them, it would be nice if they had a check mark next to the title or different font, etc.

Thanks,

Tim
timjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
The only way to see your progress from the home screen is to look at the "progress dots" underneath the title. As you get further into the book more dots will become bold.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #3
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^Yep. And the number of dots indicates the relative length of the book. Works well for the most part.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

I made a collection called "read" and moved books I have finished to that collection.
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
I made a collection called "read" and moved books I have finished to that collection.
You can also, of course, simply delete them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Welcome to mobileread, Tim
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
timjthomas
timjthomas began at the beginning.

Thanks -- I like the idea of a completed, but I also want to keep the "genre" -- e.g., mystery, SciFi, Fantasy, Historical, etc.

I have my books segregated by genre, and it would be nice if there was a simple check mark or [X] (or similar) to indicate that the book has been completed.

The dots are ok, but not great.
timjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
I have collections
to read, read

Then also have collections by genre. It does mean I don't get a clear to read marking within the genre, but at least I get the classifications I want.

SM
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #9
phil75070
Enthusiast
phil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enoughphil75070 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
You could set up multiple collections for each genre, one for unread, one for in progress and one for read and move the books into and out of those collections as needed. Books can also belong to multiple collections at the same time as collections are, in some cases unfortunately, not folders but "tags". Thus the inability to "nest" collections.
phil75070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
RexGalore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can also, of course, simply delete them.
I could do that. But since my Kindle is no where near full at the moment I prefer to keep read books on so that I can go through bookmarks, quotes and notations.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
That title "READ" would not help me as I might not know if they were to be "RED" or had been "RED" as opposed to I am going to "REED" them.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjthomas View Post
Is there a way on the Kindle to easily indicate / display those books that are completed, in progress, etc?

I have 50+ and as I complete them, it would be nice if they had a check mark next to the title or different font, etc.

Thanks,

Tim
Hello Tim, this particular method will not show up on your kindle, but there is a very nice method to show the status of your books from within Calibre, there is a great how to guide from pchrist7 here I use it myself and find it very handy.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
RexGalore
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
That title "READ" would not help me as I might not know if they were to be "RED" or had been "RED" as opposed to I am going to "REED" them.
All books that I haven't read are sorted in collections according to genre. So for me the "have/will read problem" doesn't exist.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I have Currently Reading, Already Read, and all my genre collections. But you have to remember to add the book you are reading to the appropriate collection (genre and Currently Reading or Already Read).

Welcome!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjthomas View Post
Thanks -- I like the idea of a completed, but I also want to keep the "genre" -- e.g., mystery, SciFi, Fantasy, Historical, etc.

I have my books segregated by genre, and it would be nice if there was a simple check mark or [X] (or similar) to indicate that the book has been completed.

The dots are ok, but not great.
I have catagories for each genre (as I define them) and a read and to be read folder for each of the genres. When I am reading a book, I move it from to be read, to reading. When I finish the book I move it to read for the genre and the 2011 folder (I am keeping track of what I read this year).
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote