Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #766
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Is xfinity tv app on the fire tv stick?

Our the fire tv box?

It's surprisingly difficult to find what devices support xfinity tv.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #767
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Received my $24 FireTv Stick, my second one to go along with the $19 one. Now all the tv's in my house have streaming. It's nice to have Netflix, HBO Go, Plex (for streaming movies from my computer's hard drive), Amazon Prime movies and Tv. If FireStick could support AirPlay, I could replace my AppleTv.

The setup now has a nice short video telling you about the device. Learned that there is an iPhone remote control app. Works great. Put the firestick tv remote in a drawer hoping not to lose it.
There are several apps that add AirPlay support to Fire TV Stick. I'm using 'AirPlay/DLNA Server' http://www.amazon.com/x5434-x6C5D-Ai...dp/B00LAT7QV6/

It works reasonably well, I think, but I have no experience with Apple TV so I don't know if is as robust. I have not tried any of the other apps. I also use it on my Fire TV.

Especially handy for iOS apps that aren't available for Fire TV, but which support AirPlay. Medici TV for example.

I can also turn my TV into a Kindle by mirroring the Kindle for iOS app, with narration or with Speak Screen. Of course you can also mirror Fire HDX or Fire Phone directly to do this sort of thing.

Last edited by tomsem; 07-17-2015 at 09:58 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:22 PM   #768
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Of course you can also mirror Fire HDX or Fire Phone directly to do this sort of thing.
PCs and WinTabs supporting Miracast work, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #769
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I tried a couple of the AirPlay apps, including Reflector who's app is great on the Mac and Windows. Maybe they've improved in time
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #770
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FireTV stick just got a reading app for RSS newsfeeds. Also podcasts and video:

http://www.aftvnews.com/new-fire-tv-...ds-to-your-tv/
Old 08-04-2015, 12:20 PM   #771
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

There is now an approved version of Kodi for FireTV stick.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...f_rd_i=desktop

At $3.99 for a minimally disguised version of the free product I would not recommend it but it is there and it doesn't need sideloading or tricks to get it to show on the menu.

Just FYI.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #772
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There is now an approved version of Kodi for FireTV stick.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...f_rd_i=desktop

At $3.99 for a minimally disguised version of the free product I would not recommend it but it is there and it doesn't need sideloading or tricks to get it to show on the menu.

Just FYI.
The link does not work, and I was unable to find the app.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #773
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The link does not work, and I was unable to find the app.
I bet Amazon pulled it from the store. From what little I read, comments were definitely against having this app in the store.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #774
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
It's been pulled - http://www.aftvnews.com/paid-kodi-cl...tv-wtf-amazon/
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #775
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

That "solves" that problem.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:44 AM   #776
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'm still using the FS at my grillfiend's place, but at my new place, I want something a Hank more powerful. There seem to be lots of boxes manufactured in China that work perfectly with Kodi (cf. the M8). In the past, they were only available from places like Chinavision, delivery could take three weeks, and customer service consisted of a series of e-mailed scripts and monosyllabic shrugs.

Thankfully, the same boxes now are available with Amazon Prime. I'm favoring the Matricom G-Box or the newest version of the M8 -- esp. now that Fios is available in my building and Kodi has 4k content.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-14-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:40 AM   #777
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Presti, can those boxes, via kodi or otherwise, stream DVD isos from a cifs share? If so, do you have a recommendation of one?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:29 PM   #778
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tv-dr...azons-fire-tv/

FIRE TV outsells Apple TV.
Not a great achievement but a milestone nonetheless.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #779
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Well, it was about time!

Fire TV stick will apparently be playing Audible ebooks via Alexa when the new FireOS 5 ships:

http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-am...-tv/#more-9049

Quote:

Alexa on the Fire TV will unlock access to a lot of new functionality which will continue to expand as Amazon and third party developers continue to increase Alexa’s capabilities. Some new functionality expected to be available when the feature arrives is the ability to play audiobooks from Audible or Kindle Unlimited libraries. You will also be able to listen to daily customized news briefings or listen to podcasts and live radio via TuneIn or iHeartRadio. Alexa will be able to check traffic conditions, the weather, and your calendar. You’ll have quick voice access to Amazon’s entire music library including Prime Music and music you’ve purchased or uploaded yourself. Alexa can answer a wide range of general knowledge questions and provide sports scores as well. The “Other” section in the “Things to Try” list seems to imply that you will be able to use voice commands to stop what’s playing, as well as mute/unmute the Fire TV.
Plenty more (with screencaps) at the source.

Now to see if it really does get implemented on the existing hardware.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #780
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

It makes a lot of sense. Fire TV is a lot more powerful than Echo. Surely Fire tablets will have Alexa like voice assistant as well.