Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 10-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Rafael Sabatini new ebook?

I am thinking of doing a book by Rafael Sabatini when I've finished the ebook I'm working on now. There are a dozen or so ebooks by him in the MR library, and scores of texts by him available from Project Gutenberg and Project Gutenberg Australia.

He died on 13 February 1950. Is it allowable for me to do an ebook for the MR library from a text by Rafael Sabatini in PG Australia? Would it be allowable for me to produce an illustrated version of one of the ebooks already in the MR library?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
According to the notice at the top of this forum section (which you may have previously X-ed to dismiss and apparently one can't get it back after doing so):

Quote:
Due to a planned migration to a new system we would like to make our library strictly compliant with "Life+70" copyright law. With immediate effect, therefore, we will no longer accept new book uploads unless they are either in the "Life+70" public domain, or covered by a CC (or similar) licence. Please don't upload any book unless its author died before 1st Jan 1943, or it licensed for free distribution. If you have further questions feel free to contact Harry. Thanks!
So even though the old Sabatinis haven't yet been removed from the MR library for planned compliance like people keep talking about in the Feedback Forum, we're no longer a venue for Life+50/US pre-1923 works due to the arcane European site ownership legal considerations thing trumping the Canadian-hosted server locations that was mentioned way back when.

Maybe try contributing it to Project Gutenberg Canada or one of the other PD repositories which accepts hand-tuned ePubs?
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your prompt response. It's what I expected, but if I don't ask I don't find out.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Please don't upload any book unless its author died before 1st Jan 1943.
Actually, that should be changed to 1944 now (and 1945 in a couple of months).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Actually, that should be changed to 1944 now (and 1945 in a couple of months).
So when will Mr. Sabatini's work be in compliance? If he died in 1950 then he was gone for 50 yrs in 2001 but if it's life +70 would that mean he'd be compliant in 2020?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
So when will Mr. Sabatini's work be in compliance? If he died in 1950 then he was gone for 50 yrs in 2001 but if it's life +70 would that mean he'd be compliant in 2020?
I seem to remember, vaguely, that authors become compliant at the beginning of the following year after death+70. If that's so he'll become compliant on New Year Day 2021.

By this time I'll be approaching my 81st birthday, and probably not in the mood for doing ebooks.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:14 AM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I seem to remember, vaguely, that authors become compliant at the beginning of the following year after death+70. If that's so he'll become compliant on New Year Day 2021.

By this time I'll be approaching my 81st birthday, and probably not in the mood for doing ebooks.
I'll be turning 51 that year (God willing I'm still here). I don't know if I'll be doing ebooks by then either. I hope my health and eye sight are still here by then. Diabetes can do a lot of damage.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

I hope things go well for both of us.