Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
How to dump firmware?

Anyone got any pointers as to what would be involved in dumping firmware such that someone with a UK 505 could dump their 1.2 firmware and the result could be added to the Universal Flasher/PRSCustomiser?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I have the dumps of the UK and (just got it today) the FR versions. I'll be updating Universal Flasher to deal with those versions.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wondered when I was posting it, if I should just PM you instead! :-)
Old 11-06-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I have the dumps of the UK and (just got it today) the FR versions. I'll be updating Universal Flasher to deal with those versions.
That's very good news igorsk - I assume this is the UK firmware I sent you? As I hadn't heard from you for a while I was wondering...but I didn't want to pester you again.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard

If you've still got a dump, I'd be interested in taking a look? (It might not be anything I can make sense of, so don't expect anything, but I'm curious!)
Old 11-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
That's very good news igorsk - I assume this is the UK firmware I sent you? As I hadn't heard from you for a while I was wondering...but I didn't want to pester you again.
Shellshock, how did you dump the firmware?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Shellshock, how did you dump the firmware?
I would like to know as well.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
how did you dump the firmware?
One can dump firmware with an autorun script, basically copying its cramfs image from a /dev/mtdX file onto the SD card.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I've bought a French PRS-505 last week and its firmware is version 1.3.---
(but everything is in english), is it the version you have igorsk ?
If it isn't I could dump it, just give me your script.

I also have a CD of eBook Library software v2.4.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I have version 1.3.00.22070.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Yes, I have version 1.3.00.22070.
By the way, why didn't sony release this version on the internet ?
Is there any difference with the current official version ?
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
gwynevans
Wizzard

Maybe the date or number format? 1.1 (US) has mm/dd/yyyy (if I recall correctly) whereas 1.2 (UK) has dd/mm/yyyy?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Maybe the date or number format? 1.1 (US) has mm/dd/yyyy (if I recall correctly) whereas 1.2 (UK) has dd/mm/yyyy?
France I believe uses the same date format, so their firmware should be 1.2 too. I'm interested in the diff between 1.2 and 1.3. I'm guessing there's more to these country-specific firmwares than date changes...
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
France I believe uses the same date format, so their firmware should be 1.2 too. I'm interested in the diff between 1.2 and 1.3. I'm guessing there's more to these country-specific firmwares than date changes...
Well, as long as we're guessing, I'll guess it's marketing and eventually book-sales related. So far I haven't found any significant diffs between the US xml and UK xml. Date format appears to be hard-coded and not handled by the xml. I'm testing a common set of xml files for 1.1 and 1.2 and it seems to function w/o problems no matter which version Fsk.img I use.

There are some changes in the binaries:
Code:
                         UK      US
ebook.so         76628     76180
kbook.so        109236   109164
libtinyhttp.so  1034796 1034800
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #15
igorsk
Wizard

The UK firmware is basically the same, the date format is changed and an error message added in case the book deletion fails. The French firmware is quite advanced, they added switchable localization, customizable date format, proper (locale-specific) title sorting and grouping.