Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #421
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
Warning: minor rant against no one in particular.

I understand your point, but the more disposable ereaders have become the more I've questioned my commitment to them.

Batteries that can't be changed, the constant gotta-have-it new cheap plastic gizmo that'll change your life - I get enough of that with my cell phones. I can also do short-term reading on the go just fine with them.

If I traveled frequently my attitude would be different, but the warm fuzzy that having a library in my pocket gives me hasn't amounted to much. On my third ereader now since '08, and I'm not relishing another $100+ that could be spent on pbooks or subscriptions of the same price as e-subscriptions.
I understand your points too. May I ask, why do you keep replacing yours? Are they breaking? I suppose like anything it's a very individual thing and really just depends on the user. I certainly don't think one needs to upgrade every year, some people simply like upgrading and having the latest technology which is fine. I also know people that are still using their original kindle and happy with it. Myself, I love e-readers and won't be without one, but that's just me.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #422
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For me it was a choice between switching to ebooks, or buying a larger house. eBooks were a pretty clear winner.
But just think of all the inconvenience you're missing.

I have to agree with your choice, though.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #423
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
For me it was a choice between switching to ebooks, or buying a larger house. eBooks were a pretty clear winner.
+1

No matter where you live, buying a bigger house is going to cost more than electronic devices. And maintaining a larger house can only steal from reading time.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #424
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes. I wholeheartedly agree.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #425
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
This is my feeling too. Their quality assurance is just not up to par with the PW's. I find I have little tolerance for it this year after what I went through last year with the exchanges. So I'm done with it and sticking with my PW1.
You've got a tolerable PW1, so it is no brainer. Forrest Gump got it right, "PWs are like a box of chocolate, you never know what you will get"!

As for me, I mostly read on my iPhone and iPad. The iPad 5 case looks like it will be smaller, thinner, and lighter this year, so I'll probably upgrade my iPad 3. If the iPad 5 is like the rumors say it will be, I'll be better able to hold and read on it for long periods. I need it for my photography anyway, so that is my "no brainer"!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:23 AM   #426
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You've got a tolerable PW1, so it is no brainer. Forrest Gump got it right, "PWs are like a box of chocolate, you never know what you will get"!

As for me, I mostly read on my iPhone and iPad. The iPad 5 case looks like it will be smaller, thinner, and lighter this year, so I'll probably upgrade my iPad 3. If the iPad 5 is like the rumors say it will be, I'll be better able to hold and read on it for long periods. I need it for my photography anyway, so that is my "no brainer"!
LOL. Forest knows the truth. And cheers for no brainers and us having it all figured out.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #427
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
LOL. Forest knows the truth. And cheers for no brainers and us having it all figured out.
I'll drink to that!! (Or pretty much anything as far as that goes...)
Old 10-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #428
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Now I Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

Here we have an Apple loyalist bashing an Amazon product. What else is new?

I happen to be an Amazon loyalist but do not waste my time in the Apple section bashing them.

If someone loves their iPad mini, more power to them, but don't criticize my Kindles.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #429
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
No, they don't change with time. They are inherent in the design of the diffraction grating which forms the light diffuser. Only a small number of people seem to be sensitive to them (which is not to say that it's not a real issue for those who are sensitive, of course).
To me that makes it sound like those blotches are visible in all PW screens, and it's just how sharp your vision and how sensitive you are to shadows & blotches whether or not you will notice them. That is only a small part of the story, there is also huge variation between the screens, seems like some are pretty near perfect. Apart from the pinhole issues and the few obvious faulty leds, there have been barely any complaints about blotches so far.

Besides if it was inherent in the design, why is it not an issue with the Kobo Aura?

Last edited by soulfuldog; 10-03-2013 at 11:45 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #430
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Knock on wood, I don't seem to have any problems with my PW2. No pink/green hues, and I couldn't find any light pinpoints or dust specks. Granted, I've spent less than 10 minutes reading on it, but I was a person who went through so many blobby 2012 PWs I eventually gave up and went back to old model. Meaning, I know what problems I'm looking for at this point. The lighting is still not perfectly even, but I know that most of you reading this know that there's a huge different between "lighting isn't perfectly even" versus "blobs everywhere" or dust specks. I'll post some pics when I can. (Mine was ordered directly from Amazon the day they became available, shipped from Ontario.)
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #431
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
This is my feeling too. Their quality assurance is just not up to par with the PW's.
If their QA would be so good that only perfect readers checked by very strict people came through, the PW would cost €249 or even more, instead of €119.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #432
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
To me that makes it sound like those blotches are visible in all PW screens, and it's just how sharp your vision and how sensitive you are to shadows & blotches whether or not you will notice them. That is only a small part of the story, there is also huge variation between the screens, seems like some are pretty near perfect.
I think it's a combination of the two factors: individual perception, AND variability between devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #433
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
I think it's a combination of the two factors: individual perception, AND variability between devices.
Bingo. If there wasn't device variability, you wouldn't see the variation in photos. But there is always the risks of trying to cut costs on something like this as they push for smaller scale structure in the grating. Quantum effects become more pronounced and loose tolerances can ruin a lot of careful engineering.

As for why the Kobo doesn't have it... Who knows. Kobo and Amazon really don't want to tip the other off on what they did wrong or right, and so we are left in the dark.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #434
anywho
Connoisseur
anywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watchanywho is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle
is there anyway to delete a post?
anywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #435
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Deletions

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywho View Post
is there anyway to delete a post?
You can always edit it and leave the word: "Deleted."
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote