Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by aranwe View Post
Hi,
i would like to start discussion about how likely is it to port some open source browser to kindle? ... something like chromium (here is link about compiling for arm linux) or midori - which is GTK app - someone here started proting GTK apps to kindle .. this one could be nice.
Why?
mainly tab support, dowloads support
Chromium developers have tested using 2009q3. Older versions are known to cause errors when building Chromium.

So that's no good for the 3 sadly. OOTB

It would have to be cross-tools ng'd I imagine (or a custom flavour TC)

Last edited by twobob; 10-11-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: It would have to be cross-tools ng'd I imagine (or a custom flavour TC)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
jumani looks fun - I can provide a libsoup build for the Touch if that helps any.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #18
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
LUAKIT!!!
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #19
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
LUAKIT!!!
You gonna be round long enough to use it?

I will have a look and see which (of that list) has most of it's dependencies met natively. That's easier for me.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
O.P. asked the question about downloads two weeks ago and got a link to this in reply:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121008

So lets first find out if the O.P. tried it, and what the results where.
that one i tried - didn't work ... then i tried to PM to the developer of the mod and no response ... the author of this hack seems to be no more active.

great that the discussion is heading the right way; unfortunately i dont have time now to try compiling anything ... maybe in a month or two (i have update for the kindle maps and i dont have even time to "pack" it for others to use)...
aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #21
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Nice finds. Thanks.
I wonder if it would be possible to use browser flash plugin in this environment. I mean arm, Amazon customized webkitgtk+ and so on. I must try it. I need time!
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #22
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
I wonder if it would be possible to use browser flash plugin in this environment. I mean arm, Amazon customized webkitgtk+ and so on. I must try it. I need time!
I've looked at official Flash plugin for ARM-based Android. But it's implementation is tied with Android-specific libraries, so it couldn't be [easily] re-used on KT.

Maybe it's possible to use Gnash. It looks like building of Gnash for ARM is officially supported and Gnash could be built as NPAPI plugin. (NPAPI plugin should work even with standard KT browser.)
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 AM   #23
twobob

I was fiddling with the built in webbrowser. looks audio nerfed again anyhow?

definitely support the Gnash effort!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #24
twobob

Quote:
DejaGnu
Although this isn't used by the code, many of the test cases do use DejaGnu. The unit testing API for DejaGnu doesn't need the rest of the framework, so this header file needs to go in rootfs/usr/include if you want to build test cases. You can grab that from here: [dejagnu.h]
mtd-utils
mtd-utils is almost the same but -Werror was removed from a Makefile so it would compile on an x86_64. On an x86 build machine, this hack is not necessary. It's a minor issue of between the sizes of data types used in a comparison statement.
[mtd-utils-201006.tar.bz2][mtd-utils-201006.tar.bz2.md5]
This patch was unnecessary with the L2.6.31_10.07.11_ER snapshot.
SDL
SDL was missing. You don't need this if you configure Gnash without sound support.
[sdl.spec] [SDL-1.2.14.tar.gz] [SDL-1.2.14.tar.gz/md5]
Giflib
Giflib was n ltib cvs.
[giflib.spec] [giflib-4.1.6.tar.bz2] [giflib-4.1.6.tar.bz2.md5]
AGG
AGG was missing.
[agg.spec] [agg-2.5.tar.gz] [agg-2.5.tar.gz.md5]
If you have a problem with ltib spawning processes out of control till your machine locks up when compiling AGG. here's a version cross compiled with the exact same compiler, but without ltib going crazy. You can grab my executables of this from here: [ltib-agg.tar.bz2] [ltib-agg.tar.bz2.md5]
Boost
Boost was there, but not built by default. This patched version only builds the 3 packages Gnash uses. With the older ltib snapshots I was using these files:
[boost139.spec] [boost_1_39_0.tar.bz] [boost_1_39_0.tar.bz.md5]
When I upgraded to L2.6.35_10.11.01_ER, I also upgraded boost, since the newer G++ could handle it finally.
[boost.spec] [boost_1_39_0.tar.bz] [boost_1_39_0.tar.bz.md5]

libpng
Ltib cvs has libpng 1.2, but Gnash wants libpng 1.4. We can't just replace the older libpng, as other packages have a dependency on that version. so applying this spec file is different than the others. Create a new directory libpng14. Put this spec file in that directory. If you applied the patch for the config menu, then you'll see two libpngs listed, one under the Gnash category, and the other where it usually is with the other packages. The config menu patch also fixes the dependencies for all the existing applications to use the old libpng12.
--Rob 10:14, 2 December 2010 (MST) You don't need libpng14 anymore either, as the current Gnash source have an ifdef to handle the much older version of libpng.
[libpng14.spec [libpng-1.4.4.tar.bz2] [libpng-1.4.4.tar.bz2]

I will look at these later today, I have most of them, will share.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi. I already built gnash. But I didn't have time to test it. I don't know how to make it work with browser.
I also built jumanji (screenshot), which looks very nice, fast and simple.
Unfortunately I am very short of time now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-10-12T14_20_20-0200.gif
Views:	409
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	93981  
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #26
Lydovig
Zealot
Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Lydovig shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: kindle touch
baf

Very interesting. I could test and gnash jumanji. Please share binary files.

Last edited by Lydovig; 10-12-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Lydovig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #27
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Another one from the list xxxterm (screenshot). If I understood well, also called xombrero. It builds fine. All the others are very similar to jumanji, super minimalistic browsers, designed mainly to be operated with keyboard. I will not try them.
I will get back to my tests, when I have a bit more time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-10-12T17_30_22-0200.gif
Views:	317
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	93997  
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #28
twobob

I toyed with xxxterm today and got stuck on the launching part after it was built
: ) nice work
Old 10-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Hi. I already built gnash. But I didn't have time to test it. I don't know how to make it work with browser.
If you have NPAPI Gnash plugin library libgnashplugin.so (i.e. if you've configured Gnash with --enable-nsapi before compiling), then create /usr/lib/browser/plugins on KT and place library there. It should work (after browser reloading).

I don't know how to test it quickly, though. Youtube is the obvious suggestion, but for playing Youtube videos Gnash should be compiled with GStreamer/ffmpeg support and there should be appropriate codecs on device.

BTW, this directory path is hardcoded in libwebkitgtk, so (I believe) plugins placed in this directory should work with other WebKitGTK+-based browsers too (if they don't override enable-plugins property). Of course, it isn't the only place where WebKitGTK+ library looks for plugins. Here is the full list:
Spoiler:
Code:
/usr/lib/browser/plugins
/usr/local/lib/mozilla/plugins
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins
/usr/lib64/browser-plugins
/usr/lib/browser-plugins
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
/opt/mozilla/lib/plugins
/usr/lib/netscape/plugins
/usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc5
/usr/lib/netscape/plugins-libc6
/usr/lib64/netscape/plugins
/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins
/usr/lib64/nsbrowser/plugins

It's strange, but string libflashplayer.so is also hardcoded in libwebkitgtk.

(Don't be in a hurry to try, if you have to spend time on something else. KT can wait infinitely, really. And you're already making great progress. )

Last edited by eureka; 10-15-2012 at 05:06 AM. Reason: it's libwebkitgtk, not libwebgtk!
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 PM   #30
briant1234
Enthusiast
briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.briant1234 substituted for the Southern Oracle when it was on vacation.

Question, have any of those screenshots been compiled into launcher format yet? (no offense to anyone who worked on it, im just confused as to what this gnashing stuff is)
briant1234 is offline   Reply With Quote