Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Occasional TOC navigation issues (epub goes to wrong loc'n)

I usually convert my source files, whether they are original .epub or .mobi to .htmlz so I can edit them for my preferences in styling, font sizes, etc., and then convert .htmlz back to .epub for use on my kobo.

In 99% of cases everything works perfectly.

However in a small number of cases, TOC navigation gets screwed up in a very minor way in the final epub - ie, selecting a TOC entry navigates to the last line of the text page *before* the actual chapter, instead of to the top of the page where the chapter number is as would be expected. When using the TOC on the original epub, it doesn't do that, and when using the in-line TOC in the HTML file it navigates exactly to the chapter number text, but not in the .epub.

Anyone know why and if there is a simple fix?

Cheers
The REAL Joe
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
I usually convert my source files, whether they are original .epub or .mobi to .htmlz so I can edit them for my preferences in styling, font sizes, etc., and then convert .htmlz back to .epub for use on my kobo.

In 99% of cases everything works perfectly.

However in a small number of cases, TOC navigation gets screwed up in a very minor way in the final epub - ie, selecting a TOC entry navigates to the last line of the text page *before* the actual chapter, instead of to the top of the page where the chapter number is as would be expected. When using the TOC on the original epub, it doesn't do that, and when using the in-line TOC in the HTML file it navigates exactly to the chapter number text, but not in the .epub.

Anyone know why and if there is a simple fix?

Cheers
The REAL Joe
I think this has to do with where the Anchor was placed in the original file Before a split happens in Calibre.

I am not sure that Calibre can detect an Anchor that happens Before an Chapter heading.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think this has to do with where the Anchor was placed in the original file Before a split happens in Calibre.

I am not sure that Calibre can detect an Anchor that happens Before an Chapter heading.
Yep, I had an anchor, then the <div class="pagebreak"> then another anchor, then my chapter heading (h2). I moved the pagebreak to before the first anchor (so now I have div, a, a, h2) and it works fine, only this is a manual pain in the butt. I was hoping there was some way to tell Calibre to put these in the right order, regardless of how the original source put them, but I guess that's asking a bit much...

Cheers
The REAL Joe
Old 09-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, I had an anchor, then the <div class="pagebreak"> then another anchor, then my chapter heading (h2). I moved the pagebreak to before the first anchor (so now I have div, a, a, h2) and it works fine, only this is a manual pain in the butt. I was hoping there was some way to tell Calibre to put these in the right order, regardless of how the original source put them, but I guess that's asking a bit much...

Cheers
The REAL Joe
If you have a Chapter per file, there really is no need for a chapter anchor.
(the #...) part in the NCX. the chapter_filename is enough. The file opens at the beginning in lieu of any directive.

You do need mid file anchors., but those are not the problem you are having.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Yep, I had an anchor, then the <div class="pagebreak"> then another anchor, then my chapter heading (h2). I moved the pagebreak to before the first anchor (so now I have div, a, a, h2) and it works fine, only this is a manual pain in the butt....
You don't need anything other than the chapter heading tags (<h2> in your case) in your html file. Calibre will insert the chapter pagebreaks when you convert the html to epub, depending on your settings on the Convert - StructureDetection page.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #6
therealjoeblow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You don't need anything other than the chapter heading tags (<h2> in your case) in your html file. Calibre will insert the chapter pagebreaks when you convert the html to epub, depending on your settings on the Convert - StructureDetection page.
True, but without the anchors, then the in-line TOC (ie with the HTML hyperlinks) doesn't work...
Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
True, but without the anchors, then the in-line TOC (ie with the HTML hyperlinks) doesn't work...
You don't need anchors in the Chapter files.

Sample TOC:
Spoiler:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>/title>
<link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<style type="text/css">
/*<![CDATA[*/

@page { margin-bottom: 5.000000pt; margin-top: 5.000000pt; }

span.sgc-1 {text-decoration:underline}
/*]]>*/
</style>
</head>

<body class="calibre">
<p class="calibre2" id="filepos272124"><span class="calibre3 bold">Table of Contents</span></p>

<p class="calibre12"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/c01.html"><span class="calibre9 calibre10 sgc-1">Chapter One</span></a></p>

<p class="calibre12"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/c02.html"><span class="calibre9 calibre10 sgc-1">Chapter Two</span></a></p>

<p class="calibre12"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/c03.html"><span class="calibre9 calibre10 sgc-1">Chapter Three</span></a></p>

<p class="calibre12"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/c04.html"><span class="calibre9 calibre10 sgc-1">Chapter Four</span></a></p>

<p class="calibre12"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/c05.html"><span class="calibre9 calibre10 sgc-1">Chapter Five</span></a></p>

<p class="calibre12"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/c06.html"><span class="calibre9 calibre10 sgc-1">Chapter Six</span></a></p>

<p class="calibre12"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/c07.html"><span class="calibre9 calibre10 sgc-1">Chapter Seven</span></a></p>

<p class="calibre12"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/c08.html"><span class="calibre9 calibre10 sgc-1">Chapter Eight</span></a></p>
<p class="calibre12"><a class="calibre8" href="../Text/epi.html"><span class="calibre9 calibre10 sgc-1">Epilogue</span></a></p>

</body>
</html>

BTW I had to fix the file nameD, they were off by one. Chapter 1 was calling the Prologue file (someone else's Calibre conversion)

Last edited by theducks; 09-30-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Spoiler added