Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Thumbs down Consumer Reports doesn't recommend iPhone 4

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...twork-gsm.html

ouch. that has to hurt apple a little bit.

the picture with the duct tape sure is a laugh. bet jobs is none to happy.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Makes you wonder why they rather dismissed the issue earlier, before actually testing it.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

well i've never had much faith in CR to begin with. a few times over the past few decades their reviews have been questioned. apparently that rubber stamp bit them in the ass again. but i know a lot of non-tech people who swear by CR's seal of approval, or word of warning. having CR flag you as "not recommended" is certainly not going to help apple in the long run, and not make this issue disappear as easily as apple hopes it would. their whole handling of this issue has been a botched mess.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I am not a fan of CR, really don't pay much attention to what they recommend or not.... But as Scott said, this has to hurt Apple. Just the stigma is enough to sting......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
News Flash!

There is a problem with the antenna.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books

the point of this thread isn't that the antenna has a problem. we already knew that. it's that CR did an about face in their review, which happens, but is rare, and the effect it's going to have on iPhone sales.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think they really did an about face, they were initially in love, like just about everyone else was. After scientific testing, though, they had to change the review.

Engadget has independently confirmed antenna problems with testing:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/c...ems-and-so-do/
Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I think it’s pathetic of them to deny any antenna problems at first and even criticizing anyone else (in their blog) and then turning around 180°. Either make an educated comment or STFU, Consumer Reports!
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #9
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
I think it’s pathetic of them to deny any antenna problems at first and even criticizing anyone else (in their blog) and then turning around 180°. Either make an educated comment or STFU, Consumer Reports!
And I think it's pathetic of Apple to deny any antenna problems at first and even criticizing anyone else, and then turning around 180 deg. with a "software problem".

I won't comment on the second statement you made, no matter how easy it would be...
Old 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm not a big user of Consumer Reports. It seems to me, though, that its review wouldn't stop me from buying the phone even if I were a CS fan. It's basically saying, hey, nice phone with one big flaw that can be corrected with a case (which most people use on their iPhones anyway).

I think Apple's handling of the antenna problem has been arrogant and insulting toward customers, however. Apple clearly screwed up with the hardware, dismissed valid complaints and is now profiting by selling bumpers. At the very least, it should've acknowledged the problem immediately and offered every buyer a free bumper.

At this point, my two-generations-old iPhone works well enough, so I'm not upgrading. If I were to upgrade, Apple's handling of the problem would make me seriously consider competitors' phones.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
The plus to this, as an iPhone 4 owner, is that it's another lever to get Apple to fix the problem in a real fashion--not just bandaid it with a smoke-and-mirrors "signal display issue" update.

Mine's in a bumper in a strong signal area, so for me so far, it's a non issue. But I know that may change if I go to use it anyplace else. I'd like to see Apple simply step up to the plate and offer up a real solution, not a illusion of repair via changing the display.

The rest of the phone is an exquisite upgrade from the 1st generation. Love love love the new camera and the retina screen is superb for reading.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Makes you wonder why they rather dismissed the issue earlier, before actually testing it.
Did they? How could they now about the issue without testing it?

But they did comment about previous writings:
Quote:
[UPDATE: Some commentary suggests we've retracted an earlier recommendation of the iPhone 4. In fact, our first blog on the iPhone 4's performance, and a followup comparing it to the Motorola Droid X, were based on preliminary testing, as we stated. Those earlier tests did not address antenna performance. We recommend products only after all tests are complete, and as part of our full smart phone Ratings. —Paul Reynolds]
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Did they? How could they now about the issue without testing it?

But they did comment about previous writings:
I was referring to this headline which to me, seemed rather dismissive of the issue: http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...oblems-in.html
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books

well.. i guess one thing is that's a blog entry verses an actual review. but i still pretty much take anything CR says with a grain of salt. it is amusing to watch them do the 180 though and their word will give some people pause and apple a black eye.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
well.. i guess one thing is that's a blog entry verses an actual review. but i still pretty much take anything CR says with a grain of salt. it is amusing to watch them do the 180 though and their word will give some people pause and apple a black eye.
I guess you can spend your time complaining about CR, or you could could admit there MIGHT be a problem... See this:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apples...-4s-mojo/36627

Tags
antenna, consumer reports, iphone, recommendation, signal