Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
janeb
janeb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3G
Got it and love it ... but a few questions

Hi all
Got it and loving it ... but I haven't had much time to play with it yet. So, can you bear with me and answer a couple of questions that might be obvious with some more time. First - what does the % bar at the bottom of the screen indicate. Is it battery life or an indication of where I am in the book perhaps? Are there any page numbers? In addition, I'd love a synopsis - but have just noticed a post about that which I'll play with on the weekend. (I assume that the changed status to social whatever it was is on 'manage your Kindle'?) And finally, this weekend I want to try to transfer a CD book to my Kindle so that I can use it like an iPod when travelling. (Text to speech is a great innovation but can't really compare with professional readers). Can you tell me in rather basic language if this is possible. Anyway, away to work and looking forward to some more play time with my new toy this evening. Happy reading/Kindling
Jane
janeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
First - what does the % bar at the bottom of the screen indicate. Is it battery life or an indication of where I am in the book perhaps?
Where you are in the book.

Quote:
Are there any page numbers?
No... because there are no pages.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeb View Post
Hi all
And finally, this weekend I want to try to transfer a CD book to my Kindle so that I can use it like an iPod when travelling.
Jane
You sure can! I assume your CD is ripped into MP3 format, just copy the MP3 files to the music directory on the Kindle. Then from the main screen press menu and select experimental. Select play mp3 and enjoy!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
You sure can! I assume your CD is ripped into MP3 format, just copy the MP3 files to the music directory on the Kindle. Then from the main screen press menu and select experimental. Select play mp3 and enjoy!
If its an audiobook then you'd want to put it into the audible directory and use it that way instead of as background music.

The background music player is extremely basic. You get play, stop and skip to next and thats it for controls.

The downside to the eBook player part is that you need to manually select each file to play.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Getting the synopsis saved on the Kindle will involve installing Calibre and a few tweaks that you can read about on the other thread you spoke of.

But, since you have 3G, you can access the synopsis on Amazon easily by pressing the directional to the right when on the book title. From the menu there you can choose "book description." It will show the first part of the synopsis, just click on "more" to see the rest.

Welcome to MR and congrats on your new Kindle.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 03:08 AM   #6
janeb

Thanks to you all for the suggestion. The CD isn't in MP3 format. I'll try it tonight if I get chance and see what issues emerge. Got the information on the book (thanks) and I see why there are no page numbers (smile). Thanks again. I'll try to transfer the CD and get back to the board with any questions.
j
Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #7
janeb

Nah - I transferred the files to the Kindle (both audible and music) but it can't find them. I think that the CDs are not MP3 format. Any suggestions? I have somebooks in that format but most are just CDs. I can play them on an iPod or phone so perhaps there is a way to translate them into the right format?
j
Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

What do you play your music/audiobooks with? Any idea what the extension is at the end of the filename?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
janeb

I either load them straight onto iTunes to play on my iPod or use Windows Media Player to store them and load them onto a phone. This is the file that I tried to copy to Kindle. It has a blue musical note on the file. I looked for any file name clues but not sure what I'm looking for. (I know I'm no expert!) From Windows Media Player I can usually send the file to any connected hardware. I sent it to Kindle (and it went) and it is visible on the Kindle page (contents of your Kindle) but just isn't being recognised when I go to 'experimental'. Any ideas? Thanks for helping me to think this through.
j
Old 01-19-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Tiersten
Guru

Right click the file and at the bottom of the menu that pops up, there should be a Properties option. Click that and it should say "Type of file:" near the top.

I think it might just be that Windows Media Player is putting it in the wrong place. Plug the Kindle in and go to Computer or My Computer (depends on Windows version) and then go to the Kindle drive that appears. You want to put the music into the "music" folder and audiobooks into the "audible" folder.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
janeb

Type of file says .wma
I tried putting them into the Kindle music folder and the Kindle audible folder but it only tells me that there are no MP3 files on it. What am I doing wrong? Could it be that the Kindle only likes MP3 files. I do have some books that are MP3 so I might try them and see what happens. Any more help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
j
Old 01-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru

Ah. If its WMA then its not supported by the Kindle unfortunately. It only does MP3 audio so you'd need to convert it to MP3 before it can be played by the Kindle. There are many tools available to convert. Somebody else will have to chime in with recommendations as I don't use WMA normally so not really sure on what tools are the better ones.

Your books that are MP3s should work fine though.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
janeb

I just tried a book that is in MP3 format - sent it to the Kindle - and while it appeared on the contents of the Kindle on my computer, the actual Kindle is still saying that it has no MP3 files on it. I have to run to work now (literally!) but will keep trying any suggestions this evening. Thanks
j
Old 01-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #14
Tiersten
Guru

The experimental MP3 player only looks in the "music" folder for files. It doesn't look anywhere else. If its an audiobook then put it into the "audible" folder. These folders are right at the start of the Kindle drive. Its not a subfolder of anything.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I think the Kindle3 already has an Audible folder but it may not have a music folder so you'd have to create it. At the same level as the document and audible folders - it should show equal to those in hierarchy. Just grab a quick mp3 file from somewhere and "shove" it into one of those folders
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote