Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #16
sickenmcsluggets
sickenmcsluggets began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
So I'm thinking that some of these lockups are related to formatting problems and the lack of the software being able to get past them sometimes on initial formatting in the reader.
This seems like it could have been the problem. I downloaded an epub book, and Calibre read it fine in its viewer, but the prs-300 didn't display anything but an error message. I think it was that epub book that sent my prs-300 over the edge. It was the epub format download from this page:
http://craphound.com/makers/download/
sickenmcsluggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #17
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickenmcsluggets View Post
This seems like it could have been the problem. I downloaded an epub book, and Calibre read it fine in its viewer, but the prs-300 didn't display anything but an error message. I think it was that epub book that sent my prs-300 over the edge. It was the epub format download from this page:
http://craphound.com/makers/download/
I just downloaded the ePub version and Calibre reads it fine, but when I put it into the 300 it won't play. The info page shows it as 406kb, but the book only shows as 1 page in length and gives the ! when trying to open it.

The ePub version is not an "official" version but a readers formatted one. Taken from the beginning of his book: (hilighting mine)
Quote:
It’s kind of a tradition around here that my readers convert my ebooks to their favorite formats and send them to me here, and it’s one that I love! If you’ve converted these files to another format, send them to me (doctorow@craphound.com, subject Makers Conversion) and I’ll host them, but before you do, make sure you read the following:

Only one conversion per format, first come, first serve. That means that if someone’s already converted the file to a Femellhebber 3000 document, that’s the one you’re going to find here. I just don’t know enough about esoteric readers to adjudicate disputes about what the ideal format is for your favorite device.
So I would say that there is a formatting error with the ePub version

So I downloaded the html version, plugged it into Calibre, did a default convert to ePub and loaded onto the 300 and it reads just fine

Be careful of "non official" conversions especially when the author states that he knows nothing about formatting and it's first come, first serve...
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 AM   #18
sickenmcsluggets
sickenmcsluggets began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
Be careful of "non official" conversions especially when the author states that he knows nothing about formatting and it's first come, first serve...
Thanks for doing that, now I know it wasn't just me. I'm just glad there were other format options for his book available. I downloaded the LRF version and it works great.
sickenmcsluggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #19
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to add my experience:

I just had the same issue as OP with my PRS-300. It appears to have been caused by me side-loading 94 books all at once using Calibre. I deleted all the books from the device and went back and loaded them 20-at-a-time, disconnecting the device after every 20 books and making sure it wasn't giving the "loading" screen. It worked, I was able to load all 94 books, and there have been no issues in the 2 days since I did this.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote