Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle reader for PC
Illustrations for E-books

Hi everyone
I was wondering if any of you out there have produced e-books with illustrations in them, and if so, what size your graphics are. I've been Googling this subject but can't seem to find any standards or best practices... I'm trying to figure out what size would look the best across all (or at least the main) e-readers.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jody

Last edited by jodykihara; 03-23-2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: formatting
jodykihara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've produced numerous illustrated books. Most readers have 600x800 screens, but many also have a status bar. I generally size my illustrations for a max width of 600 pixels, and a max height of 760 pixels. Also, if you have a "landscape" orientation illustration, I'd suggest rotating it 90 degrees.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I scale all the illustrations in the book the same factor, so that relative sizes and maintained, and usually aim for max size of around 800-1000 pixels.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
jodykihara
Author
jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jodykihara has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Great, thank you.
Harry, can I ask why you chose 760 rather than 800?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodykihara View Post
Great, thank you.
Harry, can I ask why you chose 760 rather than 800?
He did it to leave room for the status bar at the bottom which is present on some eBook readers, which is what he said in the original statement.

A status or progress bar is often a part of the eBook reading software and removes this much space from the screen display. It also slightly alters the aspect ratio of the maximum image so even though the image might be shrunk to fit then the image won't reach the sides of the device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
jodykihara
Author

Thanks!

Tags
graphics, illustration