Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

I dusted off my old Nokia N800 Internet tablet this weekend, charged it up (I haven’t played with it for a couple of years), and loaded up FBReader from the Maemo repository. I found it to be somewhat useless as all I could read on it was FB2, TXT, RTF and perhaps a couple of other equally archaic formats. So I took a look at FBReader.ORG and found that newer versions support ePUB and Mobi. So I dumped the version that I had loaded, and loaded the one from the FBReader site. (after a trip down memory lane on how to add a new repository)

Wow, this thing works great with ePub books! I'm not sure if this version supports Mobi. And it’s even more pocketable than my jetBook, and pocketability is one of the best features of the jetBook! One of the ways the ITT conserves battery is by turning the backlight off when not in use, so I’m not sure how continuous reading will affect battery life, but I’m in testing mode right now.

Anybody else using an N770/N800/N810 for a reader?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Not any more. I traded my N800 not too long ago. I did quite a bit of reading on it when I had it, though. Yes, the newer FBReader is much improved. Given the very good screen on the N800, it does make a very nice, pocketable reader.

The main reason I got rid of mine was that I wanted a larger screen. Bumping the font size up so that I could read it had the side effect of too many pages with not enough words. My eyes aren't as young as they used to be.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I use my N700 so much I don't have to dust it off! FBReader is really great but I use it mostly for reading long articles from the WWW. With all my wading through posts, threads, etc., etc., I still haven't figured out how to strip the DRM. It frustrates me much because I consider myself somewhat tech savy.

Most of my books are DRM'd Mobipocket and eReader and with the Garnet VM application installed in my N700 I can read both, plus, for me most importantly, dictionary lookup works perfectly. Dictionary functions in Mobipocket on my DT375, but I have to do a soft reset to get out of the dictionary in eReader...which is a pain.
I know you can get a dictionary in the FBReader and I had it installed in the older version, but haven't bothered figuring out how to install in the the latest version. The repository thing!
My N700 dims in 2minutes and shuts down in 5. Just touch the screen and it's immediately on. The N800 does the same, no? I also have the brightness set at the low end. Think I get 5 or 6 hrs, but it doesn't take long to charge.
deanna
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
coosbaytv
coosbaytv began at the beginning.

Device: Clie NX70V...and now the Nokia n810!
just got an n810 a week ago...

one of the primary functions is to replace my Sony Clie as Ereader ebook use with the Garnet VM.

While it isn't perfect this way, it gets me by on those old .pdb books I still haven't read yet.

Not being familiar with this FB2 format much, it sure looks great on the device.

If I could find current mainstream Business and Technology titles, I would probably buy a few...
coosbaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I think it was using my N800 (and before that the N770) that helped me decide I wanted an eInk device. I still do use the N800 occasionally for reading (mostly PDFs), but I mostly use it for web browsing.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
I recently misplaced my N810 and went back to my N800. It's great! Especially with the Tear browser, it's really fast.

The newest FBreader is essential. Not only does it read EPUB books, but you can search for and retrieve free ebooks with the greatest of ease--the older versions don't do that.

I find that eyestrain is not a factor, especially with a light blue background instead of harsh white. Funny that reviewers don't often mention that color lessens eyestrain. It seems to me it does, anyway.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I see that N810 avalable on Amazon.com for $199.99 only
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N810-Por...dp/B000Y4AH3C/
I think I don't need it but price looks very attractive
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:49 AM   #8
olis
Zealot
olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: prs-500, Nokia N810, Irex dr1000s, Kindle3
I use my N810 almost exclusively as an ebook reader (FBreader is amazing!!).
To reduce eyestrain you might find helpful a small app called advanced backlight. It gives you access to the full 128 levels of backlight, as opposed to the 5 levels that Nokia provides, so you can set the brightness very very low and a dimmer screen really help reduce eyestrain.
Another app I use all the time is Stardict dictionary, it has the ability to automatically throw up a definition whenever you highlight something in a program running on the Nokia (FBReader, browser, etc).
olis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I see that N810 avalable on Amazon.com for $199.99 only
http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N810-Por...dp/B000Y4AH3C/
I think I don't need it but price looks very attractive
The last I heard it was down to about $180 at Buy.com. It's a great deal.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I use an N800 with FBReader and find it is perfectly acceptable as an ebook reader. It's very pocketable and being that it's a little computer (as apposed to a dedicated ebook reader), it's also incredibly versatile.

FBReader could do with a friendlier library management system, but it’s good enough for me at the moment and the fact it can handle epub’s and HTML files means that the majority of my collection can be read without conversion.

A larger screen would be handy for home use (so I’m looking for a larger dedicated reader), but for carrying around with me and taking to work, it’s perfect.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yup,

My experience exactly. At home it's my jetBook, out and about it's my N800. Synchronizing them is a little hassle but since they both have decent word search it's do-able.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The last I heard it was down to about $180 at Buy.com. It's a great deal.
Buy.com sell it for $229 now
http://www.buy.com/prod/nokia-n810-i...206228943.html
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:22 AM   #13
lander221
lander221 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I can't use my Nokia N800 Internet Tablet to watch youtube videos !!

It says that "You either have Java Script turned off or an old version of Adobe Flash Player". And when I want to download Adobe Flash Player, there are many version to choose from, so which is the best for Nokia N800 ?

Also pls help me on this, my Nokia N800 under "setting" and "utilities" there are many many applications inside, I guess this is what caused my N800 to be very slow when loading the internet or other applications. So what should I do now ?

Thanks for any suggestion!
lander221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lander221 View Post

It says that "You either have Java Script turned off or an old version of Adobe Flash Player". And when I want to download Adobe Flash Player, there are many version to choose from, so which is the best for Nokia N800 ?

Also pls help me on this, my Nokia N800 under "setting" and "utilities" there are many many applications inside, I guess this is what caused my N800 to be very slow when loading the internet or other applications. So what should I do now ?

Thanks for any suggestion!
I'm not 100% on this but I believe you can update your N800 firmware to the current N810 version which may help. I also believe the Nokia N8X0 tablets don't use native Flash but some kind of workaround.
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #15
celtica96
Zealot
celtica96 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, SmartQ 5 & 7, Mirus CT9W7
Flash 10 Not Available For N8X0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander221 View Post
I love my Nokia N800 but it has its limitations.

Youtube videos require Flash 10 and the Nokia N8X0 has support for Flash 9.

See a discussion of Flash 10 & the N8X0 here: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=24352.

The bottom line is that Nokia did not license Flash 10 for the N8X0 platform so videos requiring it will not run on the device.
celtica96 is offline   Reply With Quote