Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Charging Options??

Has anyone tried to Charge the 505 with a Motorola Razor or Blackberry Charger??? They have the same mini usb ends, The other end just plugs into the wall instead of a computer.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
Has anyone tried to Charge the 505 with a Motorola Razor or Blackberry Charger??? They have the same mini usb ends, The other end just plugs into the wall instead of a computer.

JJ
Probably won't work. But it cannot hurt to try. When you plug in the USB end into the 505 and the light doesn't go on, then it won't work. Your best option is to go get a PSP AC adapter with the barrel type plug on the end. It's cheaper then Sony's AC adapter for the 500/505 and it charges the reader a lot faster then via the USB port.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
leveck
Literate Gadget Fan
leveck is on a distinguished road

Device: Vulan Flipstart, Sony PRS 505
Lightbulb

I have found that non-usb-host usb chargers will charge the prs-505 if you completely turn the unit off first. It will charge and stay off for 45 minutes. Then turn off fully again and charge again for 45 minutes. You'll get a complete charge in 2 to 3 cycles. I have used AC to usb chargers (cheap one from radio shack), my car stereo which has a usb jack, a cig-lighter dc splitter (auto) that has a usb jack, and the vehicle tattle tale boxes in the vehicles at work.
leveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I was looking thru my mass of cables and I found this Cable which worked surprisingly well and quick. I had bought it from a store in the U.S. However you cant beat the price at this link.

JJ

http://www.sourcingman.com/2in1-usb-...l?currency=USD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PSP Cable.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	15845  
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Probably won't work. But it cannot hurt to try. When you plug in the USB end into the 505 and the light doesn't go on, then it won't work. Your best option is to go get a PSP AC adapter with the barrel type plug on the end. It's cheaper then Sony's AC adapter for the 500/505 and it charges the reader a lot faster then via the USB port.
Which PSP A/C Adapter? I looked, and there are quite a few. Thanks for the tip!
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I use the charger from my Garmin GPS. The 505 says 5.2v and my charger outputs 5v. It works ok. If it fits into the charge socket and it's about 5v then maybe it'll work not matter what the make?
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Does anyone have a solar power suppy for their 505?
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp View Post
Which PSP A/C Adapter? I looked, and there are quite a few. Thanks for the tip!
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_ID=37474

There is the type of PSP A/C adapter that will work with your Sony Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
cjp
Zealot
cjp began at the beginning.

Device: HP Slate 500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3G+Wi-Fi, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Prod...oduct_ID=37474

There is the type of PSP A/C adapter that will work with your Sony Reader.
Thanks Jon! Indeed, it is both smaller and less expensive than the Sony adapter. I appreciate the link.
CJP
cjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Search is your friend. Covered several times here in detail. Razr charger does not work reliably. Aftermarker PSP chargers are the big winners.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I was looking thru my mass of cables and I found this Cable which worked surprisingly well and quick. I had bought it from a store in the U.S. However you cant beat the price at this link.

JJ

http://www.sourcingman.com/2in1-usb-...l?currency=USD
Yeah, this cable is the shizz for charging Readers. FORGET ABOUT CHARGING THRU THE MINI-USB! USE THE PSP! I have one of these cables too (your price beats what I paid! ) You can use this to charge from any pc, usb hub, or even a usb wallwort (that outputs 5v and has a usb socket).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
Does anyone have a solar power suppy for their 505?
Well, yeah. Although it's slow. I have a Powermonkey setup which includes a clamshell solar battery, and has a psp tip for the output. So I *could* charge my Reader from the sun,if needed. (The Powermonkey also has a large-capacity water-resistant rechargeable cell with lcd meter, and a universal wall converter, plus a lot of adapter tips. You can charge devices from the handy cell, the wall converter, or the solar panel, as well as charge the cell itself from the wall adapter or solar panel to use later.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I purchased an AC charger today which said it was for PSP. The specs are INPUT 120V,
OUTPUT 5.2V 450 mA. The charger on the Sony.ca website has an output of 5.2V and 2000 mA. Will the mA difference between these two make a difference? Will charging with the lower mA output damage my battery over a period of time?

Thank you
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
No, it'll just mean it doesn't charge as fast as the 2A one, although I'd not actually take either of the current (mA) figures as accurate without measuring them & anyway, as long as it's the round connector, rather than the USB one, you can still read while it's charging!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
karo02
Enthusiast
karo02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animalskaro02 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
So basically, any charger with a 5 or 5.2 V output will allow to charge the sony reader ?
This is really great news as my husband already have a PSP with the A/C adapter, but I did'nt dare to try it by fear of damaging my brand new sony reader !
karo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:35 PM   #15
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
After doing some more reading on the forum I came across lots more info.
A quote from JSWolf:

Originally Posted by JSWolf
You have just been lucky so far. The best thing to do is to toss this charger and get a true PSP charger. Just because the pug fits and it seems to work, doesn't mean it actually does. If you use an incorrect charger, you could be damaging the unit or causing a problem with the battery.

I have decide to return the so called PSP charger I purchased and have found a place I can buy a REAL PSP charger...tomorrow. It is 5.2v 2000 ma.

An informative thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26915
I don't think I did that right ...

Last edited by Novasea; 11-30-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added a link to thread
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote