Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #121
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I guess one of the next things we really need is a settings menu :-)
Menu key seems like logical choice, but hacking code is also OK ;-)
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #122
Germanc
Germanc is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
Hawhill added optimization options for compiling in new version. So it is now much faster (about 10 times faster for one of my test file, 20s to 3s).

Hope the new version can solve your problem. :-)
Nice ! If it wasn't this late I would try to compile it myself. I'll be waiting for the new release ! (or, who knows, maybe tomorrow is the day to finally build a cross compiling toolchain :P)
Germanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #123
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanc View Post
Nice ! If it wasn't this late I would try to compile it myself. I'll be waiting for the new release ! (or, who knows, maybe tomorrow is the day to finally build a cross compiling toolchain :P)
Then I suggest you build your own toolchian ;P I don't know when the new release will be out.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #124
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Or a native toolchain that runs under qemu (for various flavors of ARM):
http://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #125
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
cross-compile toolchain arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Or a native toolchain that runs under qemu (for various flavors of ARM):
http://landley.net/aboriginal/about.html
I did try to use Landley's compiler for Kindle, but I got error that kernel is too old. It was some time ago, so YMMV.

If you don't want to build toolchain, you can download pre-compiled toolchain from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=11
https://rapidshare.com/files/3271781...cc4.2.4.tar.gz

or from https://github.com/samsheff/Amazon-K...ross-Toolchain
FWIW, git clone is much faster than rapidshare download, and gcc is also a bit newer, 4.6.1 however, I have following problem with it:

Code:
./kpdfview.no-worky: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_ARM_1.3.3' not found (required by ./kpdfview.no-worky)

Last edited by dpavlin; 03-06-2012 at 11:23 AM.
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #126
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlin View Post
I did try to use Landley's compiler for Kindle, but I got error that kernel is too old. It was some time ago, so YMMV.
It should have been possible to configure for the older kernel headers. __should__

I don't think that the Kindle kernels are getting any newer, so that will need a HowTo (somewhere).

Support for i.MX* processors just started going into BuildRoot a couple of weeks ago. Not all of the Freescale processors (yet) nor def_configs (or qemu configs) for all of them (yet).
But that is a cross-compile build system, not a native compile build system.

Unlike many other projects, the repository head of BuildRoot is expected to work (not just the release tagged points), so it should 'just work' if you have to use 'head' to get Freescale support.

Also, BuildRoot is in active (daily) use for commercial production with a lot of attention to ARM from the professional users.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #127
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
True. But: it is directed at building a uClibc root. You can get glibc by using it's integration for crosstool-ng, but then you could have used crosstool-ng in the first place. This is what I did. However, I decided to be close to the Amazon dev environment and carefully selected an older version of crosstool-ng that allows for building an older glibc version and an older gcc.

I don't think you can squeeze out much more from the CPUs were using here. A few tries to further optimize by specifying -mcpu and playing with -mfloat-abi/-mfpu did not really show impressive results (or, to be true, proved to be either not measurable or impacting performance to the worse).

Probably an older sourcery toolchain will work quite fine (about 2009?). The newer ones will bring a new glibc that brings new APIs.

Ah well, the joys of cross-compiling. Bah.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #128
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
traycold
100% of document (i.e. last page): 0
crashes djvu files

tested on https://github.com/downloads/houqp/k...er-2ca5f23.zip
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #129
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
traycold
100% of document (i.e. last page): 0
crashes djvu files

tested on https://github.com/downloads/houqp/k...er-2ca5f23.zip
Fixed, thanks for report

New release is coming. We are too busy integrating new features this week so don't have much time to stop and stabilize stuffs.

There are still three or four new features under development and once they are done, the release will be out. You guys can refer to the download page for changes to be included in new version.

Last edited by dave2008; 03-07-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #130
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
I'm happy that finally djvu will no longer be a problem.
The link doesn't work.
https://github.com/downloads/houqp/k...er-2ca5f23.zip
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 AM   #131
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
I'm happy that finally djvu will no longer be a problem.
The link doesn't work.
https://github.com/downloads/houqp/k...er-2ca5f23.zip
Glad you like it.

I deleted that link ;P It is not valid anymore because there were lots of changes introduced last night. It is just my built for testing purpose. All the formal releases will be added to the project's wiki page:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/wiki/Download

We will also reply to this thread when new release is out. So please be patient.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #132
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Thanks for the efforts you're putting in.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #133
Germanc
Germanc is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I was able to cross compile it but in the end I tried dave2008's snapshot :P. Djvu support works great ! And also pdf rendering is a lot faster than before, but sadly it still is slower than in duokan. I wonder if mupdf could be optimized in some way ?
In any case, one 90º rotation is done it'll come pretty handy, since I have a lot of djvu books, and converting to pdf increased the size up to 10 times, which is not good with only 4gb available. Thanks guys !
Germanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #134
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Djvu support works great ! And also pdf rendering is a lot faster than before, but sadly it still is slower than in duokan. I wonder if mupdf could be optimized in some way ?
Oh, really? I don't have duokan installed, so I have no chance to compare But at least it beats the native reader in my kindle

HW saids there is room for optimization making use the fact that kindle only needs grayscale output. But seems that nobody has time to look into that recently.

Quote:
In any case, one 90º rotation is done it'll come pretty handy, since I have a lot of djvu books, and converting to pdf increased the size up to 10 times, which is not good with only 4gb available. Thanks guys !

I just added a demo for 90 degree rotation. But it needs more clean up I guess.

Last edited by dave2008; 03-08-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #135
medwatt
Zealot

The djvu is working great. However I notice that at one time it was not kindle was not responsive to certain actions. Then I turned it off. When I switched it on again, the actions corresponding to the set of actions were then executed. Is there a way to move landscape directly ? Also when using pdf I don't seem to find a way to crop automatically to text region because some pdfs have a lot of white space at the margins.
Thanks once more, at least djvu is readable.