Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
I'm torn between the two. I love the hardware of the Android-based devices that I own. I'm a fan of the Android OS. But I find certain elements of iOS (primarily the limited multitasking) to be superior.

Android multitasking is improving with each release, but it still isn't where it needs to be for a mobile, battery-operated device. If there was a system setting to activate an iOS-like multitasking mode (impossible to do without rewriting a few OS subsystems, APIs, and applications using those APIs) I'd be totally sold out for Android without hesitation.

There is absolutely no good reason for any application to autostart simply because it was installed. Virtually all of the apps that I use do that. Some may point to poorly written apps as the culprit. Maybe so, or maybe the OS shouldn't provide a way for apps to autostart without allowing the user to override that behavior.

Some will claim that just because an app is listed as "running" doesn't mean that the apps is actively using resources. My response to that is, run some comprehensive testing for yourself. I have run those tests. And there is noticeable differences in system performance and battery life when those apps are installed (autostarted but not manually invoked) and when those apps are not installed.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #32
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm torn between the two. I love the hardware of the Android-based devices that I own. I'm a fan of the Android OS. But I find certain elements of iOS (primarily the limited multitasking) to be superior.

Android multitasking is improving with each release, but it still isn't where it needs to be for a mobile, battery-operated device. If there was a system setting to activate an iOS-like multitasking mode (impossible to do without rewriting a few OS subsystems, APIs, and applications using those APIs) I'd be totally sold out for Android without hesitation.

There is absolutely no good reason for any application to autostart simply because it was installed. Virtually all of the apps that I use do that. Some may point to poorly written apps as the culprit. Maybe so, or maybe the OS shouldn't provide a way for apps to autostart without allowing the user to override that behavior.

Some will claim that just because an app is listed as "running" doesn't mean that the apps is actively using resources. My response to that is, run some comprehensive testing for yourself. I have run those tests. And there is noticeable differences in system performance and battery life when those apps are installed (autostarted but not manually invoked) and when those apps are not installed.
Multitasking is multitasking; you can't have apps freeze in the background and call it multitasking; what apple has is not true multitasking for this very reason.

There are ways to prevent apps from loading when the device boots, just Google and you'll find answers. Most of the time the request is genuine, but if it is not, you can always uninstall the app and tell the developer why you did so.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #33
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I never had this problem. I get the option to start it after installation, but no autostart.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #34
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Multitasking is multitasking; you can't have apps freeze in the background and call it multitasking; what apple has is not true multitasking for this very reason.
Multitasking is not multitasking. But I don't expect anyone other than system software developers to understand that.

Quote:
There are ways to prevent apps from loading when the device boots, just Google and you'll find answers. Most of the time the request is genuine, but if it is not, you can always uninstall the app and tell the developer why you did so.
So you are of the "the apps are the culprit" camp. No surprise there.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Don't know about it's cool, but it just lost it's appeal

Don't know about it's cool, but it just lost it's appeal to block Samsung Sales:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...7d258dc7ab.231
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #36
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
The irony is that Android has excellent multitasking at the kernel level. It ended up being crippled at the application level due to resource management. How this resource management happens is pretty obvious if you take a look at application development for Android, since it involves stopping or terminating processes at the operating system's demand. We see a loosening of the rules now that phones (and especially tablets) are becoming more capable. Hopefully those limitations will go away within a few years.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #37
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Android is basically Java on Linux.
The Linux part is solid.
The Java part is... Java... cloned by Google, the masters of betaware.

'Nuff said!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:37 PM   #38
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Multitasking is not multitasking.
You are making perfect sense. Not.

Are you talking about time slices?

Last edited by afv011; 01-31-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM   #39
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
It doesn't help that their design and OS haven't changed much in several years.
on the other hand, if its good, why change it (much)?

after all it has been very sucessful. Sure there are fades and of course if many people have it, it becomes more the normal thing, that is not rocket science! and hardly news!
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #40
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
Is it any good? Maybe it was when it came out, but it looks way too inflexible nowadays - proven by the issues it caused to change the resolution in the iphone5, for instance. And, with Blackberry coming out wih BB10, ios becomes the oldest smartphone os.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #41
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is it any good? Maybe it was when it came out, but it looks way too inflexible nowadays - proven by the issues it caused to change the resolution in the iphone5, for instance. And, with Blackberry coming out wih BB10, ios becomes the oldest smartphone os.
I was under the impression that people wanted iOS because it was inflexible. More precisely what Android users called inflexible, and iOS users call easy to use.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #42
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
That's probably what RIM was thinking, and look at what happened to them. That's probably what Microsoft was thinking, and look at their presence in the phone and tablet market. That's probably what Apple was thinking in the 1980's, and look what happened in the 1990's.

Businesses need to ensure that their products remain relevant.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #43
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I was under the impression that people wanted iOS because it was inflexible. More precisely what Android users called inflexible, and iOS users call easy to use.
Well, it's a matter of opinion. Having to leave an app to change its settings is not "easy to use" or "intuitive" in my book, but to each their own.

Having to rewrite some of your app because the screen resolution changed does not speak volumes about flexibility either, but you might disagree.

Having to go through itunes to copy a movie to your tablet, well, it's neither easy to use nor flexible.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #44
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Well, it's a matter of opinion. Having to leave an app to change its settings is not "easy to use" or "intuitive" in my book, but to each their own.

Having to rewrite some of your app because the screen resolution changed does not speak volumes about flexibility either, but you might disagree.

Having to go through itunes to copy a movie to your tablet, well, it's neither easy to use nor flexible.
I'm not an iOS user, I have an Android tablet and no smartphone. What I was trying to point out is that what you see as a negative, iOS users (maybe not all, but most) see as positive. Which would be one of the reasons why they bought iThings.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #45
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Quote:
what you see as a negative, iOS users (maybe not all, but most) see as positive. Which would be one of the reasons why they bought iThings
Yes, good point!

Also Apple seems to be bringing out new updates at a faster pace, and its not beyond them to tweek the iOS! They are continuing to sell more units all the time!
Sure they need to be on their toes, thats a given, there is a lot of hungry competition out there, but I still like them
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote