Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Matteob
Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard (3)
Kindle Keyboard will not download from gutenberg in browser.

Hi everyone I have just discoveredthis forum and it looks good. I wonder if you could help me with an issue? I have recently discovered online that one can go to the experimental browser on the kindle keyboard and download books directly from the Gutenberg site. However after downloading from the site the file is listed right at the end of the home page with no title or metadata (just pg012mobi) and it says that the file could not be downloaded.

I am running the version 3.4 of the firmware. Is this Amazon being evil and locking out third party direct downloads in the latest version of the software? I know there was a scathing article on the gutenberg site about the kindlefire doing this.
Matteob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Have you ever been able to do this directly from the Kindle? Just going by what it says on the Project Gutenberg wesbite, it tells you to download to your computer and then copy the file across to your Kindle?

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gutenb...ow-To#Kindle_3
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Matteob
Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matteob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ I_macd apparently you couldyes and they tell you so on the Gutenberg website. I do copy across but this would be great for downloading on the move say on holiday.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've done it in the past on my Kindle Keyboard and had no trouble. And I tried it out on my new Paperwhite this morning and not only did the book download but it opened with no problem at all. It's possible that your wireless signal didn't download the book properly when you downloaded it and the file is corrupted. I'd delete it and try again just to make sure.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I just tried it on my Kindle Keyboard 3G, using the built-in browser, and when within WiFi range.

On the Gutenberg web site, it seems like it is working. And it does put a .mobi file in the Documents folder of my Kindle. But this mobi file is NOT the book from Project Gutenberg, but rather a text file that can't be opened from the Kindle. When I connected my Kindle to my PC, and opened the .mobi file, in the Kindle documents folder, with Notepad, here's what was in it:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<html><head>
<title>403 Forbidden</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Forbidden</h1>
<p>You don't have permission to access /cache/epub/2701/pg2701.mobi
on this server.</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache Server at www.gutenberg.org Port 80</address>
</body></html>

I tried this for two books.

When you don't have a general purpose computer (like one running Windows, Linux, Mac OS, etc.), the bad news is that the Kindle Keyboard works best when you can partner it with a computer. However, a friend can download books for you and then email them to your @kindle.com address. That's works well, although you first have to go into Manage My Kindle on the Amazon web site and allow the friend's email address access to yours. Doing that maneuver from the Kindle Keyboard (as opposed to a PC) is probably possible, but difficult.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-24-2013 at 10:55 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've never used it so wasn't sure it was possible... though I don't see why it shouldn't be. But I just tried it too and get the exact same file as SteveEisenberg has just posted.

crich70 have you still got your Kindle Keyboard, and if so, can you try it on it? Also, is it running the latest 3.4 firmware?
Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Matteob: As you are a newbie, here's what we should have mentioned first:

Most popular Project Gutenberg books are available from this web site, and often with better formatting. And you don't need a computer for that.

From your Kindle Keyboard browser, go to:

mobileread.mobi

Then select:

Browse Ebooks

and you're on your way. Note that the "PRC" format, like the MOBI format, is for your Kindle.

Getting back to the trouble-shooting arena, I next tried Project Gutenberg Australia (http://gutenberg.net.au/), and could not get it to work using my Kindle Keyboard alone.

But then I went to Project Gutenberg Canada (http://gutenberg.ca/), and downloaded, from the "Text" link, a book out of copyright in my country, and -- success. Now, the formatting isn't so good.

The best way to get a Project Gutenberg Canada book onto your Kindle is to download the EPUB version and then convert that to MOBI with the super-popular Calibre (http://www.calibre-ebook.com/) software widely discussed here. But, on vacation, without a PC, the Canadian "Text" books will work.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 02-24-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Matteob

Nothing wrong with the wifi: all five bars lit and right by router. I get as said a pg***mobi file at end of list but can't be opened :/

EDIT Thanks Steve I'll do that but one of the reasons I like PG is that it has some more obscure stuff I am interested in such as William Dampiers voyages. Would be great to browse and download on the move but I guess I will have to continue to use my PC as a hub.

Last edited by Matteob; 02-24-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oddly enough my K3 is also having trouble opening mobi files from Gutenberg, but the same file opens without a problem on the Paperwhite. And I do have the 3.4 version of the OS on the K3. Thanks for posting the mobile link to Mobileread SteveEisenberg. It works pretty good on the Paperwhite.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Thanks for checking that crich70, it's strange how it's not working.

I tried one of the other 'free library' sites, American Libraries @ Internet Archive and managed to download a .mobi book from there without any problems, and of course, from the e-book library of Mobile Read (bookmarked that link thanks Steve).

So why is Project Gutenberg different?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
The key lies in what SteveEisenberg already posted:

<title>403 Forbidden</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Forbidden</h1>
<p>You don't have permission to access /cache/epub/2701/pg2701.mobi
on this server.
</p>

For some reason, Project Gutenberg seems to dislike downloads from K3 devices. They most probably are "filtering" on the User Agent. Here's a test with wget:

Code:
$ wget http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2701.kindle.noimages
--2013-02-24 22:09:15--  http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2701.kindle.noimages
Resolving www.gutenberg.org... 152.19.134.47
Connecting to www.gutenberg.org|152.19.134.47|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2013-02-24 22:09:15 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

$ wget -U "Mozilla/5.0" http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2701.kindle.noimages
--2013-02-24 22:09:30--  http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2701.kindle.noimages
Resolving www.gutenberg.org... 152.19.134.47
Connecting to www.gutenberg.org|152.19.134.47|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/2701/pg2701.mobi [following]
--2013-02-24 22:09:30--  http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/2701/pg2701.mobi
Reusing existing connection to www.gutenberg.org:80.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 2172590 (2.1M) [application/x-mobipocket-ebook]
Saving to: `2701.kindle.noimages'
So they disallow the download if the user agent is wget, but allow it for "Mozilla/5.0". They probably have a similar rule for the K3's User Agent - i.e., one to block the download.

You may want to contact Project Gutenberg about the issue. It's not logical for a site which is all about e-books to block downloads from e-book reader devices.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I tried one of the other 'free library' sites, American Libraries @ Internet Archive and managed to download a .mobi book from there without any problems . . .
Me too. I just downloaded Little Women in .mobi from archive.org, without using a computer. So you can get a lot of what is in Project Gutenberg there, which isn't surprising because of what Project Gutenberg says here:

Quote:
. . . the Posting Team upload our texts when they're ready to two main FTP servers, ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org and ftp://ftp.archive.org, which serve as our master copies
And, yet, there are books at gutenberg.org that (like ones by William Dampiers, mentioned in #8 above) I can find at gutenberg.org but not at archive.org. And other books are both places in .txt, but only in .mobi at gutenberg.org. I guess that's because I'm just looking at http, not ftp -- but, AFAIK, you can't download from an ftp site to an unrooted eInk Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You may want to contact Project Gutenberg about the issue.
Eventually, yes.

Here's another web page that I think is consistent with there being a Project Gutenberg bug:

http://www.gutenberg.org/error403.php

AFAIK, I'm human, and yet, per the above, I am being treated like a robot

However -- I don't want to write to Project Gutenberg too quickly. They are volunteers, and probably deluged with mostly-invalid problem reports. And they do say:

If at first you don't succeed, don't tell us, just try, try again.

And I'm not giving up on the idea that there is a workaround. As a programmer, it feels to me that there must be one, and probably one that is simple. But as I'm not a web programmer, I can't quite imagine what it is.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Could the solution be as simple as just running a book downloaded from Gutenberg through Calibre? I get the raw epubs that I clean up and convert to Mobi format from there and I've never had a problem opening files on my Kindle afterwards.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
Gort
Enthusiast
Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Has anyone tried http://m.gutenberg.org/? That's the link that Project Gutenberg gives when it says, "You can download our free kindle books directly to your Kindle by pointing your Kindle browser to m.gutenberg.org." Maybe they're discouraging Kindle users directly using the main site. Not that I have a clue why they'd do that, though.

Oh, sorry, I would test myself, but I haven't got my Kindle 3 with me right now.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Matteob

Hey yes I have tried the mobile site but it won'l load up :/