Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #61
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
The biggest problem I have with this idea is, the price for crappy formatted books would stay as is and the price for decent formatted books would go up. Surely when we buy a book we pay for a certain level of accuracy, or should I rephrase that to expect.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #62
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
in a word no,, mistakes do not bother me at all. I think I get very involved in my reading, and I do pray everyday that GRMM lives to finish the books, but seriously there is a line were you need to step back and not see something personal in what you read. Nobody is attacking you with a spelling mistake or type, take a breath hehehe

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #63
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
When I pay for an ebook, I expect it to be error free.
I would never pay a premium for a guaranteed error free ebook as I would not want to encourage that behaviour.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #64
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Would you pay extra for a NEW car with mis-matched fenders? Bent wheels? Bubbles in the paint?
So why would you pay more for a e-book with more errors than its Hardbound cousin? You are paying nearly the same price for something the already tend to short you on the nice cover. An e-book error usually can be corrected in minutes...No plates to make. No Press run to schedule. And No Warehouse stock to replace.

No excuses, just Greed and laziness.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Would you pay extra for a NEW car with mis-matched fenders? Bent wheels? Bubbles in the paint?
So why would you pay more for a e-book with more errors than its Hardbound cousin? You are paying nearly the same price for something the already tend to short you on the nice cover. An e-book error usually can be corrected in minutes...No plates to make. No Press run to schedule. And No Warehouse stock to replace.

No excuses, just Greed and laziness.
I must respectfully disagree, ducks. For backlist books where no electronic version exists there certainly is a choice to be made about what level of proofing to do after OCRing the book. More proofing = higher cost. For books with a relatively low anticipated sales volume, such as old "mid-list" SF, it's probably not economic to aim to produce a completely error-free book at a sensible price. It's a matter of finding the optimal balance between quality and price. Too many errors and you'll annoy the reader; too high a price and the potential reader won't buy it in the first place. I can live with an error every 10 pages, say. I can't with live an error on every page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #66
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must respectfully disagree, ducks. For backlist books where no electronic version exists there certainly is a choice to be made about what level of proofing to do after OCRing the book. More proofing = higher cost. For books with a relatively low anticipated sales volume, such as old "mid-list" SF, it's probably not economic to aim to produce a completely error-free book at a sensible price. It's a matter of finding the optimal balance between quality and price. Too many errors and you'll annoy the reader; too high a price and the potential reader won't buy it in the first place. I can live with an error every 10 pages, say. I can't with live an error on every page.
My error tolerance is higher than yours, and probably I don't pick out the grammar mistakes as well as you do

I read as many, probably a lot more, backlist books as I do newly published and I find that the quality has gone up considerably. I notice no errors, or a trivial amount of errors, at all in most of them.

Still the publishers should, and my opinion is that most of them do, put out a comparable product to the paper books they sell. If they can't get it proofread, they should not publish until they can, backlist or not.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #67
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Harry,
Maybe I needed to be clearer. I expect the e-version to be of the same quality as the original. I am not speaking of improving the quality of the prose
PG seems to manage quite well in this respect.
Like Speakingtohe, I can tolerate minor errors. But I don't consider blocks of missing/garbled/mis-ordered text, minor.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Harry,
Maybe I needed to be clearer. I expect the e-version to be of the same quality as the original. I am not speaking of improving the quality of the prose
Neither am I. I'm talking about the process of creating an ebook via OCR where no electronic original exists. That process is inevitably going to introduce errors; the question is how much money it's sensible to spend to fix them. If you want an ebook that's identical to the original paper book, free from all OCR errors, you're going to have to pay a lot of money to get that.

Last edited by HarryT; 06-19-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #69
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
SF Gateway would never have released the amount of backlist titles that they had if they had to fix all OCR errors (and the first lot they released were bloody awful, but they have gotten better since then), on the plus side they release them fairly cheap.

The other side would be Anne McCaffreys backlist appearing not long ago, as they cost more than most new paperback releases I would expect those to be completely error free.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
SF Gateway would never have released the amount of backlist titles that they had if they had to fix all OCR errors (and the first lot they released were bloody awful, but they have gotten better since then), on the plus side they release them fairly cheap.
Yes, it was actually SF Gateway that I had in mind. They do have a proofing process, but not one which claims to catch 100% of errors. But it has got a heck of a lot better over the last year. The level of errors in their recent releases has been very acceptable.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #71
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Neither am I. I'm talking about the process of creating an ebook via OCR where no electronic original exists. That process is inevitably going to introduce errors; the question is how much money it's sensible to spend to fix them. If you want an ebook that's identical to the original paper book, free from all OCR errors, you're going to have to pay a lot of money to get that.
Well, not if you get the pdf files of the scan. Maybe that would be a good method. When you buy a cheaply produced backlist book you get both the pdf files and the OCRed version.

Concerning the question in this thread. Why not ask "Would you pay less for a book with more errors in it?"?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #72
priyas
priyas began at the beginning.

Device: ios, android
i haven't seen ebooks with lot of errors from big publishing house..... infact many ebook development companies have a separate proof reading department. so that book can be made error free
priyas is offline   Reply With Quote