Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Not Loving The Kindle 3

My boss just received his first eReader, a Kindle 3. Since I'm the (supposedly) most techy employee I got to set it up, learn how to use it and give him a lesson (he's 85).

There is no doubt that it is the right reader for him. He needs the integrated eco-system. But, much to my surprise, I just didn't like it.

It weighs about 1/2 an ounce more than my Libre. In it's pretty leather case it weighs nearly twice as much. And it seems that most people do use it in a case, though I never would.

I found the menu navigation fussy, and the new 4-way pad is actually difficult for his manly fingers to use.

The screen: Yes, it is beautifully high contrast and completely without glare. But I don't like how much of the device real estate is NOT the screen. And I'm still bothered by the refresh delay, even though it is faster than the K2. On the Libre, by the time my eyes are back to the top of page, it's the NEXT page.

Battery: I charge my Libre about once a week. I don't travel. I can see why this would be an important factor for someone who does.

Of course the trade off is that we have to buy books on the PC and transfer them. But my To-Be-Read list is so long, and my public domain collection so large, I could transfer a whole lot of books at one time and not have to do it again for quite awhile.

What is comes down to is user experience. I just didn't enjoy using it.

Anyway, just my 2 pennies. Yesterday I was frustrated at missing out on a $139 dollar Kindle. Today I'm not.

Last edited by Desertway; 09-21-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Desertway, I'm curious about your opinion of the k3's new eInk pearl screen.

I own two devices, one JBL with the reflective TFT screen like your Libre, and one Astak EZReader with the eInk vizplex screen. I much prefer the JBL's reflective TFT screen.

I am willing to trust the unanimous opinion that the eInk pearl screen is better than the eInk vizplex.

So I wonder...How does the eInk pearl compare to your Libre's reflective TFT? Is one obviously better, slightly better or about even?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The contrast on the pearl screen is extreme; very black font, very white background. So, yes the contrast is better. That said, everyone seems to feel that this is undeniably a positive thing. But I find the somewhat softer contrast on my Libre to be more pleasant. For me, it's like the white on the pearl is just TOO white, too harsh.

What I do prefer on the Kindle is that there is absolutely no glare. There is a small amount of glare on the Libre.

I hope that is what you were asking.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
I recently bough a used Kindle 2i (which arrived partially broken, so I'm not keeping it) and decided pretty much the same thing. I don't really like the Kindle mainly because of all the wasted space, and the button placement is not very user friendly (compared to the Libre at least). I found that I don't really mind the screen flash, but I do like the Libre screen better. (I'll admit, it wasn't a fair comparison as the Kindle screen had issues.)

Basically, I found myself much happier (if that is possible) with my Libre than I was before.

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 09-22-2010 at 11:07 AM.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Desertway, yes, that is what I was asking.

Funny, I haven't noticed a glare with my JBL. Now I wish you hadn't told me that! Power of suggestion, and all.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Desertway, yes, that is what I was asking.

Funny, I haven't noticed a glare with my JBL. Now I wish you hadn't told me that! Power of suggestion, and all.
Glare only under VERY SPECIFIC lighting circumstances which I will not mention
Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I have some problems with glare on the JBL, partially due to a screen protector I put on it, but it's such an easy matter to change the angle slightly, I rarely notice it.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Thanks for the comparison. With the price of the Kindle coming down into a realistic range, the lure to get one is strong. But I really like the placement of the buttons on my Libre and have read for hours on it without eyestrain. I'll probably wind up getting one of the e-ink readers somewhere along the line - I'm too much of a gadget junkie not to - but you've managed to reduce my "gotta have it" levels for the time being, so many thanks.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I'm too much of a gadget junkie not to - but you've managed to reduce my "gotta have it" levels for the time being, so many thanks.
Mine too. I was sure that I would end up ordering a Kindle in the next couple of months. No way now. However, I am going to play with the new Sony today. We will see how that goes. So far, nothing else out there is interesting to me, and I have a new appreciation for my Libre.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
One of the things I like about the Kindle 3 is that there is a lot less wasted space around the screen.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
Desertway
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
One of the things I like about the Kindle 3 is that there is a lot less wasted space around the screen.
I run all my eBooks through Calibre to get the margins and alignment the way I like it.