Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-09-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Wrangling columns (as tables)

I'm trying to format some language texts that require some sections in 2 or 3 parallel columns. It seems to me the best way to do this is in tables (as opposed to embedded images). But how do I format these?

Ideally, in any one table the columns should be of equal width. I can achieve this if the table is the full width of the screen; but suppose I want to make the left and right edges of the table align with the margins of the paragraphs of text above and blow the table? For instance, a margin of 2 em on both sides?

Once I apply margins, what usually happens is that the left margin is suddenly ignored, and the table runs the expected width but is up against the left edge of the screen, *or* for some strange reason, the left margin of the table is recognised but the right-hand border of the table suddenly stretches further than it should and off the right edge of the screen.

Obviously I've got the code wrong, or is this just not possible in epub2? (I have no experience of epub3 yet.)

I'd appreciate any help on this. Thanks!
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I'm trying to format some language texts that require some sections in 2 or 3 parallel columns.
Didn't we have this same chat back in 2014? Did none of those solutions/discussions work?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=235365

Three columns of text, there is just no way to do this well in ebooks. The devices are too thin and the font size can get too large.

Quote:
Ideally, in any one table the columns should be of equal width. I can achieve this if the table is the full width of the screen; but suppose I want to make the left and right edges of the table align with the margins of the paragraphs of text above and blow the table? For instance, a margin of 2 em on both sides?
Do you have a picture of this? Maybe of a print layout that shows what you are trying to aim for?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-09-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Didn't we have this same chat back in 2014?
a) what I'm asking here is different
b) there weren't any solutions arrived at, as far as I could see, that would work in an ADE-based e.ink (n this case, a Kobo Aura HD)
c) I thought it was frowned on to resurrect a thread more than a year or so old; I've seen people advised to start a new conversation
d) rather than ask people to wade through several pages of what'd been said already, I thought it was simpler to ask anew. Guess I was wrong.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is a wiki page called table that has some advice to tables. How are you applying the margins? CSS?

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 10-09-2016 at 08:02 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
a) what I'm asking here is different
b) there weren't any solutions arrived at, as far as I could see, that would work in an ADE-based e.ink (n this case, a Kobo Aura HD)
In ePub2, no; in ePub3, yes, you can have three (or more) text columns. And the last release of ADE (4.5.2) supports the ePub3 protocol, so you are able to have text in columns. The trouble we have is that there are not many eink readers that support the css neccesary for text in columns (so far, new Kindle devices, iPad and maybe Kobo with kepub books -no epub-).

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert