Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Isay
Isay began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX
Calibre doesn't recognize .pdb - what to do?

I just downloaded Calibre after reading about its features. I thought I could use it for everything eBook; but I can't begin because it doesn't recognize my .pdb files. I read eBooks on my Palm TX using thier eBook reader.

What do I have to do to use Calibre with my .pdb files. I need something simple as I don't speak Computer. or can I not use Calibre?

--
Isay
Isay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Palm's ereader format is not yet supported in Calibre.

It may never be because Calibre generally does not support conversion of files with DRM and almost all ereader files have DRM.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isay View Post
I thought I could use it for everything eBook; but I can't begin because it doesn't recognize my .pdb files.
Are these eReader ebook files? If so, do you need to provide your credit card number to read them?

If you answered yes, then there is bad news and good news. The bad news is that your files have DRM (i.e. are encrypted) and Calibre does not support DRM-ridden files. The good news is that the python script ereader2html.py can strip the DRM and produce HTML+Images that Calibre can read. This is only kind of good news because a) stripping DRM is generally thought to be illegal in some places, and b) you will have to find ereader2html.py and learn how to run a command line python script to use it. There are multiple threads on this subject, for example ereader to mobi.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
If the answer is no, you can use my converter for PalmPilot Documents.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
ssimon2000
ssimon2000 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
That's interesting, because I haven't had any problems whatsoever importing PDBs into calibre. I guess I assumed that it would convert PDBs into LRFs... Are there any other formats that it doesn't support besides PDBs?

Pepak, looks like I'm going to be using your converter for quite a while.
ssimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
Isay

[QUOTE=ssimon2000;339919]That's interesting, because I haven't had any problems whatsoever importing PDBs into calibre. I guess I assumed that it would convert PDBs into LRFs... Are there any other formats that it doesn't support besides PDBs?

When I tried to add my .pdb files to Calibre's library nothing showed up in the window. I wanted to cataloglue all my .pdb files in one file instead of all over the place as they are now.

--
Isay
Old 01-31-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
Isay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
The converter I am using works fine for converting .pdb into other formats.

I wanted to catalogue all my .pdb files. And I wanted to see if Calibre could do a better job converting Sony files into other formats than the ABC converter. Sony is the only format I'm having real problems with converting.

--
Isay
Old 01-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
To clear up the matter a bit - .pdb is not an ebook format. It's Palm DataBase format, a container for whatever may be inside. It may contain Mobipocket ebook, which is readable on many e-ink readers. It may contain e-reader ebook, which isn't readable on any. Or it may contain anything else - most Palm program use pdb to store their data.
So one .pdb may be readable, the other may be not readable - depending on what they contain.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Now all I could wish for is this compiled for Linux
Does this app handle Plucker documents, as featured on gutenberg.org?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #10
Isay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
To clear up the matter a bit - .pdb is not an ebook format. It's Palm DataBase format, a container for whatever may be inside. It may contain Mobipocket ebook, which is readable on many e-ink readers. It may contain e-reader ebook, which isn't readable on any. Or it may contain anything else - most Palm program use pdb to store their data.
So one .pdb may be readable, the other may be not readable - depending on what they contain.
Thanks. As I only read eBooks on my Palm TX, I've come to think .pdb = eBooks. I've forgotten that it only meals Palm files.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #11
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Now all I could wish for is this compiled for Linux
I don't have a Linux so I can't try it, but the source compiles fine with FreePascal so you can try it...

Quote:
Apparently not.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
The Plucker source code includes explode.c, that "explodes" a Plucker file to HTML and images. There may even be a precompiled version for Linux. See SourceForge: Plucker.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Does your converter keep graphics, links, & styles?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Does your converter keep graphics, links, & styles?
Hardly, considering that those PDBs are just compressed plaintext...
Old 01-10-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
I am confused of the pdb format in Calibre. As far as I understand, only PalmDOC and eReader formats use pdb extension, Mobipocket use mobi and prc extensions.

Which format does Calibre refer to when it use the pdb extension? It seemed the documentation is not very clear on this.
tao is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.pdb, palm ereader, palm tx